Front end rumble?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithV

Reaction score
Okay, so this truck makes a lot of noises that I haven't heard any other vehicles before, so I'm starting to accept they are just normal. There is one that concerns me mildly, but again it may just be another normal sound, I'm just not sure. It's a 2018 with about 56k miles.

It sounds like there's a low rumble/ kind of metallic grinding sort of noise from the front end. The closest thing I can relate it to is when a wheel bearing starts to go. It is pretty faint, and I don't feel anything through the steering wheel or anywhere else. I notice it going slow around 20 mile per hour in a parking lot, but I also hear it on the freeway going 70. The odd thing is, it's frequency or pitch doesn't really seem to change based on the speed. It does seem to maybe go away when I actually put it in 4 high, but alternating between 4 auto and 2 high doesn't seem to make any difference.

When I had it at the dealership a month ago for the transmission calibration tsb (which did absolutely nothing), I did have one of the service directors ride around in the parking lot with me to see if he could hear it, but of course he said he didn't hear anything. Although ironically, they chose the oldest service director out of all the guys in there who is probably in his late sixties, so it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't hear something LOL.

I've been noticing this sound for quite a while, even shortly after I bought it used from a dealership about five months ago. It may be very gradually getting louder, or it may just be that I'm focused more on it. It does have a small collar leveling kit on the front, but no other suspension or drive train changes. Only other way I can describe it is maybe if front differential was really low or empty on oil.

So, with your radios and HVAC turned off, driving slowly or on the freeway, do any of you guys notice this fairy quiet mechanical sound from the front end? Or am I just crazy

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem with your iwe's. Take it back to the dealer, now that its been going on for months, they may have to replace your iwe's as well as the source of the problem. Get them to do a vacuum test and as @xrocket21 said, most common cause is the check valve. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hdscreens

Reaction score
If it’s the IWE not the turbo wastegate rattle then Ford has a TSB on that which can be replaced using powertrain warranty at no cost to you. Powertrain warranty might expire at 60k miles.