Front CV Joint Boots torn...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so most know i jsut got my truck back a few days ago after the tras decided to burn up a plug and make the computer decided the truck had no tras and would not alow the engine to start ...

so have taken the truck off road many of the about 3k miles on it ... well i had yet to take it back off road the other day and i started to get a kind of a squeek ... thought it might be th rear leafs so i took a look and there wasnt much lube on them so i was like ok cool ill jsut lube them ...

well didnt look at much else on it as i hadnt been off road yet ...

thing is as a day or 2 passes the squeeking starts to get worse or louder ...

so today i took it in a awesome wash that is like slime very slick dust and sand soo much fun to do at night ...

well after that i got back to a regular road and did my normal offroad after look on the truck yeah ... i think i found my squeek see the attached pics ...both the inner 2 cv joint boots were just torn through ... the thing that makes me woneder is the grease is everywhere and for the wash i just went through they should be covered in dust and grit but they arnt ... so maybe i havent found my squeek ...

thing is the day i got my truck back from the dealer i did my walkaround to check that it didnt have any obivious damage and i looked at the joints they were fine so my real question to all is:

To anyone with their truck on the Top Perch have you ever had both of your inner cv joint boots or all of them tear when you havent hit anything ? ie like you can look at the cleaned boot and see no obivious point that caused the tear ?

Attachments

• IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 540
  • IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 396

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2003 F150 with a 6" lift I had Ford cover it under warranty when my boot was cut. The second time it was cut they did not clean it very well when they resealed it because my hub went out. I was out of warranty by then and just replaced it myself.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jesus. I stopped trying to read this post after the 4th try. lol

Basically, after spotting the key words and looking the pics, I figured the CV boots tore. Its been awhile since I have seen a torn CV boot, usually its 70k+ miles, even on import cars. I wonder what caused them both to go at the same time?

Also, did anyone else figure out the first sentence?

"so most know i jsut got my truck back a few days ago after the tras decided to burn up a plug and make the computer decided the truck had no tras and would not alow the engine to start ..."

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jesus. I stopped trying to read this post after the 4th try. lol

Basically, after spotting the key words and looking the pics, I figured the CV boots tore. Its been awhile since I have seen a torn CV boot, usually its 70k+ miles, even on import cars. I wonder what caused them both to go at the same time?

Also, did anyone else figure out the first sentence?

"so most know i jsut got my truck back a few days ago after the tras decided to burn up a plug and make the computer decided the truck had no tras and would not alow the engine to start ..."

Yeah he had another thread talking about his truck having a check engine light on and he had to get it towed to the stealership. Then they found out it was coding the tranny no the tras as he calls it. Come to find out it was the connection to the tranny that was making the CEL come on. So after getting it out of the shop this has happened.

I was just as lost as you were until i remembered the other tread and had to put that tras means tranny haha. I had my 974runner CV boot go after 170K on the original ones and it was lifted 5". I don't understand how this could happen to both at the same time with low miles unless there was some crazy BS going on. Even at the top notch its hard to believe.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Reading about all the issues that people are having makes me even less likely to really beat on my truck off road. It just doesn't seem worth the potential trouble.

Our trucks are like talented obese ballerinas. Everyone is shocked that they're as graceful as they are but you can't mess with physics. Sooner or later, she jumps a little too high and breaks an ankle.

Last edited:

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I've seen high pressure sprayers rip through rubber CV boots like they were paper. Are you sure you didn't hold the wand too close?