Front CV Joint Boots torn...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kurt

Kurt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah im sure i didnt cut them up from washing it... as they were still in one peice after i picked it up from the dealer

i washed it after that and i did check them after the wash they were fine

either way... i tore them and just have no idea how or they are just defective rubber boots

i guess i just have bad luck...

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the shock at the top setting it makes the boot run at a bigger angle keeping the boot working at its limit... The boot and shaft are tested and designed to run with the shock setting at its lowest setting... I wouldn't say you have bad luck I would say that with your shock setting maxed its making the shaft and the boot work much harder that it was designed for...

OP
OP
Kurt

Kurt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only thing i have to say aginst that hockster is that how many others have had their trucks at the top perch and have not had a problem with the boots ?

tho i did clean the rubber up a little more today and inspect it it almost looks like its in the begining stages of dry rot ... that maybe what i conisder the cause of the tear ... even the outer 2 look somewhat close to dry rot ...

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only thing i have to say aginst that hockster is that how many others have had their trucks at the top perch and have not had a problem with the boots ?

tho i did clean the rubber up a little more today and inspect it it almost looks like its in the begining stages of dry rot ... that maybe what i conisder the cause of the tear ... even the outer 2 look somewhat close to dry rot ...

Good question... What ya think... 10% of the people??
Ya you could have a bad part but, with it at the top I would expect quicker wear on the front end parts.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you use wd40 or harsh detergent would cause the rubber cv boot to dry out. Or using something oily on the cv boot would cause dust, and dirt to build up. Which would cause sand paper like conditions that would thin the rubber.
I have always rinsed off my cv boots with hose and then applying a silcone lubricant to the boots. Wiping of any excess to prevent dirt accumulation.. I have yet to replace a cv boot... Just my two cents.

Last edited:

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
with the shock at the top setting it makes the boot run at a bigger angle keeping the boot working at its limit... The boot and shaft are tested and designed to run with the shock setting at its lowest setting... I wouldn't say you have bad luck I would say that with your shock setting maxed its making the shaft and the boot work much harder that it was designed for...

Isfast has had some bad luck so far but minor details. I agree with Hock When you increase your angles you increase stress on cv joints. Its no different then putting lift on vehicle and changing your u-joint operating angles. I'm sure there are a lot of top perch mods that they haven't blown the cv's yet but in time I think they will wear out quicker then others.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
"so most know i jsut got my truck back a few days ago after the tras decided to burn up a plug and make the computer decided the truck had no tras and would not alow the engine to start ..."

haha that made me laugh, its like following a story from a little kid (no offense) I just can't read it without laughing.:ROFLJest:

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Isfast has had some bad luck so far but minor details. I agree with Hock When you increase your angles you increase stress on cv joints. Its no different then putting lift on vehicle and changing your u-joint operating angles. I'm sure there are a lot of top perch mods that they haven't blown the cv's yet but in time I think they will wear out quicker then others.

Bad luck with minor details what are you talking about???

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry I was typing in a hurry and got mixed up with who originally posted. Sorry bout that. I meant Goof something

I thought so just making sure. I haven't had any problems with mine and would like to keep it that way. :waytogo: