Fridge install - no drilling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gxgn

Reaction score
Hey guys, do you have any thoughts how to install a Dometic CFX3 45 in the bed of my truck without drilling? My truck has the LineX in the bed and Diamondback cover. I would prefer to install it temporarily in the bed for a roadtrip I plan in the summer - UT, MT, CO. No crazy trails maybe Imogene, Alpine Loop that kind of level of difficulty.

I plan to charge it AC from the bed regular power outlet (I don't have the proposer) and run it off a Blueti 700W when stopped. I'm pretty handy with building almost anything out of wood and have the right wood machining tools.

I know I can replace the bed bolts (currently covered by line-x) and secure a 3/4" sheet of plywood where I could strap the fridge and the battery pack. Are there any other solutions you can think of that wouldn't require drilling the bed?
My second option would be to place it on a small platform inside the cabin, I'm sure I can find a way to secure it but I would prefer to keep the under the bed cover, out of sight.

Please share things you tried and worked or didn't work so I can learn from your experiences or mistakes. Thanksdji_fly_20230102_133348_3_1672697735575_photo.jpeg

Last edited:

JURASIK18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some D-rings for your bed bolts and strap it down to the handles on the refer.
I used this method to secure an extra spare tire . I had to drill the mounting hole on the d-rings to fit the large bed bolts but worked great.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idea:
- build a bracket to hold the fridge out of wood add hooks for straps that will connect via tie down strap to the existing brackets in the bed
-use some kind of glue on foam or rubber strips where it will contact the bed for sound/vibration dampening and to help resist movement
-Use the tire downs to secure in place

OP
OP
gxgn

gxgn

Reaction score
@JURASIK18 Sounds like ann interesting idea - I’ll have to check if mounted In that relatively center location I can still open the fridge. There might not be enough clearance, the center part of the Diamondback cover doesn’t open.

OP
OP
gxgn

gxgn

Reaction score
Idea:
- build a bracket to hold the fridge out of wood add hooks for straps that will connect via tie down strap to the existing brackets in the bed
-use some kind of glue on foam or rubber strips where it will contact the bed for sound/vibration dampening and to help resist movement
-Use the tire downs to secure in place
@xlover - Could you please elaborate on your first bullet point? Thank you

Last edited:

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- Cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to fit your bed.
- use bolts into the bottom of the plywood to secure some d-rings
- secure the fridge to the rings
- use fender washers so bolts don’t pull through.

I’ve been using ARB fridges in my vehicles for 100k miles or more. My fridge is on a slider in the bed. Slider is bolted to tracks which are bolted to the bed. I installed a Battle Born lithium battery in the bed for the fridge.

if the weather is hot, the fridge will be happier in the back seat area.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I would think you could just strap the handles to the 2 rear upper cleats. I keep mine behind the driver seat w/ backseat folded up. I got some boards and covered them with non-slip material to level out the floor over the collapsible storage tray folded down. Works great.

FYI, I had a big YETI full of ice under the bed cover last summer, mostly water the next day. Heat down here is different though.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on regarding heat. My ARB fridges will cool to about 60 degrees below ambient.

In the Texas heat, ambient has gotta be 140-150 F in the bed under the tonneau cover. It’s way cooler inside the truck.

OP
OP
gxgn

gxgn

Reaction score
I know it’s cooler in the cabin but I’ll be driving for 2 weeks and didn’t want to leave it exposed at night when I’m not in the car.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put d rings in the seat anchor bolts in the cab. Use straps to anchor my Setpower and Jackery. Never had a problem with theft. multiple weeks in Baja and I live in Utah and spend plenty of time in southern Utah, Arizona Strip, Kanab, Moab, etc. spent plenty of time in hotels. I typically take a jacket and throw it over the lights on the fridge. Never had a problem