Fractured Brake Pads...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else ever have a set of front pads fracture like this? I got a squeal that started on our way up to a state park near Snowshoe, WV New Year's eve. Figured it was a warning squealer. I changed the pads when I got home on Sunday and was surprised to find that there was little wear but the pads had actually cracked in front of both pistons. Glad they didn't have catastrophic failure on the mountain roads I was driving. Next time I won't assume I know what the problem is and wait until I get home to investigate.

And just in case you are wondering, I do not ride the brakes down the mountain. There are no signs of excessive heat and the rotors are not warped.

20150104_163514.jpg

tnsbruce

Reaction score
How many miles did you have on these pads?

I have an '11 with ~24K miles and my brakes squeal and shudder quite a bit - I need to take them a part and see what is going on. How long are pads lasting on these trucks?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How many miles did you have on these pads?

I have an '11 with ~24K miles and my brakes squeal and shudder quite a bit - I need to take them a part and see what is going on. How long are pads lasting on these trucks?
I have 70,000 miles on mine, but I'm upgrading the whole brake system any day now.

FireLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have developed a sequel, have 50k. Dealer said the pads are probably starting to crack. Will have them replaced with maintenance warranty.