Ford Raptor Leaf Spring Noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Ok, here's one for ya FSM. Why on earth do my leaf springs creek so bad? It's so bad it prompted me to by a floor jack and a tub-o-bearing grease. I slop on a gob of grease to all of the contact pads and the squeaking will go away for maybe 2-3 weeks. When Ford addressed the concern they used some blue stuff that seemed to last about a month(was told it would be an every 6 month type maintenance issue). Is this out of the ordinary or do the anti friction pads really have to be greased every month?

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I will get a creek on my right side every so often. Some times it gets bad but when I wash it'll go away for a few days.
I took it in for the dealer to check out and of coarse it never did it.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good question BIRD. I have about 20K on my Raptor now and have not experienced this. I don't know that I would be an advocate of applying any type of grease as this only attracts dirt and other debris that eventually will aggrivate the situation. One thing I would be inclined to suggest is that you look at the insulators on top of the ends of the springs to see if dirt/debris is embedded in the surfaces. If so, have the insulators replaced or replace them yourself.

FSM

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaf springs giving you away before you can reach the school yard Bird?

Mine are annoying as hell. But like FSM said, i'm not about to try an grease them because then they will probably start collecting all sorts of debris.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
That is a good question BIRD. I have about 20K on my Raptor now and have not experienced this. I don't know that I would be an advocate of applying any type of grease as this only attracts dirt and other debris that eventually will aggrivate the situation. One thing I would be inclined to suggest is that you look at the insulators on top of the ends of the springs to see if dirt/debris is embedded in the surfaces. If so, have the insulators replaced or replace them yourself.

FSM

:hmm: My dealer told me it's a normal occurrence and that they would "be happy to grease them at every oil change interval". I didn't think it was normal...I've had plenty of vehicles with rear leaf springs that didn't creek...and haven't seen many threads about it on the forums. Should I ask that the dealer replace the insulators replaced under warranty?

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:hmm: My dealer told me it's a normal occurrence and that they would "be happy to grease them at every oil change interval". I didn't think it was normal...I've had plenty of vehicles with rear leaf springs that didn't creek...and haven't seen many threads about it on the forums. Should I ask that the dealer replace the insulators replaced under warranty?

I'm not going to state that I have never heard rear leaf springs creak but to say that it is a "normal occurance", especially on a newer truck would be a stretch for me. There are certainly things that I can percieve as factors that may contribute to leaf spring creak such as usage and enviornment. Different enviornments such as sand, salts, mag chloride (used for snow removal) etc.,can potientially lead to contamination and abrasion. If you are an individual that uses the Raptor to its potiential and the leaves are being seperated with large extensions, then this may lead to contamination as well.

You might consider these things BIRD and then if you do not feel that they are a factor, politely suggest to dealer that you would like to have the insulators replaced. If they are abraided or contaminated, the dealer may not warranty them. Each dealer is different in how they handle a situation like this.

FSM

The WD-40 suggested by A.I.I. may be a decent idea as this will not attract as much debris but rather help keep it away and retain its lubrication quality. If all else fails, it's worth a try.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I'm not going to state that I have never heard rear leaf springs creak but to say that it is a "normal occurance", especially on a newer truck would be a stretch for me. There are certainly things that I can percieve as factors that may contribute to leaf spring creak such as usage and enviornment. Different enviornments such as sand, salts, mag chloride (used for snow removal) etc.,can potientially lead to contamination and abrasion. If you are an individual that uses the Raptor to its potiential and the leaves are being seperated with large extensions, then this may lead to contamination as well.

You might consider these things BIRD and then if you do not feel that they are a factor, politely suggest to dealer that you would like to have the insulators replaced. If they are abraided or contaminated, the dealer may not warranty them. Each dealer is different in how they handle a situation like this.

FSM

The WD-40 suggested by A.I.I. may be a decent idea as this will not attract as much debris but rather help keep it away and retain its lubrication quality. If all else fails, it's worth a try.

now you see I created this forum for my own benefit :jester: thanks bro...it's seriously been a nagging issue that i was getting used to but now i feel empowered.

p.s. wd-40 works but only for a few days. first time it rains or i wash my truck it's gone.