Ford Raptor Exhaust Modification - Not What You'd Expect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I take great care of our vehicles and I really enjoy them looking like garage queens but the satisfaction from knowing I'm using their capabiltiies is greater than dreaming about a vehicle that could win a beauty contest"

X2 Dan. I love the way my truck looks clean too, but I bought this beast to USE. I don't have a desert in my back yard like some of you are lucky enough to have, but I love to, as you put it, enjoy the capabilities of the truck. You only live once, have fun while you're here!! :rockon:

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. Yeah life's been pretty hectic for me lately. Hopefully I can see some normality for awhile now. Gotta start thinking about snowmobile Fall prep pretty soon though. I'm anxious to see how the Raptor does in the white stuff and how well it pulls the snowmobile trailer.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure you know this but the Raptor will certainly do better in snow if you have some weight in the back of the truck. I used to put around 200# of sand in bags over the rear axle and it made a big difference.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a good point. Although "modified" exhausts are not illegal in CARBifornia. The deleting of smog equipment is, as is the replacement of smog equipment with non CARB certified smog equipment. He'll pass the visual just fine.

Anything modified past the catalyst in California a smog station won't care about.

Now, if you are missing mufflers (post cat of course), the local gendarme might raise an eyebrow or two.

And cutting off the exhaust pipes where Dan did won't void anything other than bandwidth on this site. LOL

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
And cutting off the exhaust pipes where Dan did won't void anything other than bandwidth on this site. LOL

Agreed. In the case of the Raptor, I can't believe that the post muffler piping is a significant contributor to the total exhaust system restriction. Lopping a relatively small portion of the exhaust system would be an insignificant change to an already relatively negligible restriction.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lopping a relatively small portion of the exhaust system would be an insignificant change to an already relatively negligible restriction.

Guys, one thing that's been overlooked here is the huge boost in HP my Raptor got after I cut the last 18" of tailpipe off.

Not only that but my Raptor rides like a 6.2L Raptor

:mrgreen:

AuPanda

Reaction score
Guys, one thing that's been overlooked here is the huge boost in HP my Raptor got after I cut the last 18" of tailpipe off.

Not only that but my Raptor rides like a 6.2L Raptor

:mrgreen:

pawz.jpg

I don't care.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So it's a year later... How do things look down there Dan? Any significant carbon buildup? Any heat damage on anything? Any other concerns of note?

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just because you asked, I went out and took new pics today. I wanted to inspect it close up and here's what I found 15 months later...nothing. Looks the same as the day I did it.

There's nothing around to damage. No sign of any residue, heat or issues with the spare tire. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

See for yourself :)

IMG_3787.jpg

Here's a pic taken from inside the right rear wheel well so you can see the exhaust cut off and the leaf spring pack.

IMG_3785.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg