Ford Raptor Exhaust Modification - Not What You'd Expect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So Tank, given your perspective on the ease with which deaers can "void the warranty," I assume you're very comfortable knowing your warranty may be "gone" due to the engine, exhaust system and tune mods you've made.

The one concern I have with this kind of perspective is that it scares owners from making any mods and that would be a shame if that's the result.

That's why folks who aren't familar with the Magnuson-Moss Act should be as all vehicle owners do have rights in regard to their factory warranty.
I have a friend with a 427R Track Pack who blew the rear diff at VIR (a road course). The Ford dealer voided the warranty even though the car is sold as track ready car there reasoning was misuse and abuse. This dealer has a reputaion for voiding most SVTs/Roush it sells with misuse and abuse or random mod X. Your best bet is to talk to other SVT Owners in your area they will know which dealers are friendly towards people with modded vehicles and which ones aren't.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you break something abusing it off road then of course they will not cover it. Ford is not responsible for damage resulting from collisions, just like they are not responsible if you smash your diff on a rock in the desert; this is arguably abuse. Bolt-on mods are COMPLETELY different. I will say it again, cutting the exhaust will void the warranty on the exhaust but the rest of the truck's warranty will remain. Full stop.

Furthermore, the dealership does not warranty the truck, the warranty is covered by Ford Motor Company. For trivial things the dealer will go ahead and do the work but their warranty work is audited on a regular basis to make sure the dealership is not doing work that should not be covered (ie - breaking things off road or on a race track). Dealerships don't care if parts are warranteed or not, the only difference to them is who pays the bill, you or Ford. Some will go to bat for the owner and push to get things warrantied while others frown on mods but in the end the decision is not theirs to make.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with on how dealers and auto makers void warranties everyday for without proving that's said mod caused the failure.
Yes cutting off the tail pipe section effect other parts of the truck. This an OBD 2 truck and fairly complex one at that. These trucks have a similar ecu like the 05 + Mustang which where if you rotate the 90 degrees in any direction it will cause the car to go into limp mode.

You may have an argument here if he removed a cat or some other functional part of the exhaust but he didn't. All he changed is where the gases get dumped.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The biggest problem IMHO could be at "smog time" in California when the state decides he's "modified" his emissions system or something crazy like that...
That's a good point. Although "modified" exhausts are not illegal in CARBifornia. The deleting of smog equipment is, as is the replacement of smog equipment with non CARB certified smog equipment. He'll pass the visual just fine.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cutting of the last bit of tailpipe does not change the composition of the exhaust, he'll be fine when it comes time to do emissions testing.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never dreamed there'd be so much dialogue about cutting off the end of my Raptor's tailpipe. Not only could my entire warranty be voided but now I might not pass smog inspection and that's assuming I don't get fined by CARB for removing smog equipment from my vehicle :mrgreen:

woe-is-me.jpg

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a good point. Although "modified" exhausts are not illegal in CARBifornia. The deleting of smog equipment is, as is the replacement of smog equipment with non CARB certified smog equipment. He'll pass the visual just fine.

Cutting of the last bit of tailpipe does not change the composition of the exhaust, he'll be fine when it comes time to do emissions testing.

I'm no expert of California law... but back when they first started "smog checks" they started enforcing "exhaust outlet location" violations during emissions testing. A lot of guys used to dump the exhaust under the car just in front of the rear axle. All straight pipe except for the tips that pointed towards the ground. The problem was there was allegedly a "smog law" that required the exhaust pipes to exit from under the vehicle... side or rear exhaust only.

Maybe this was because the test station guys didn't want to have to crawl under the car to insert the sniffers?? lol In any case, I knew a lot of guys that failed smog testing for this reason. (this was in the days of the state-run test stations... later it was privatized.)

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I wonder if my smashed tailpipes void the warranty??? Seems they would...so I should cut them off and have straight pipes...or stacks!!!

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if my smashed tailpipes void the warranty??? Seems they would...so I should cut them off and have straight pipes...or stacks!!!

I don't know about the exhaust... but for you Brian, I'd HIGHLY recommend you change the radio station before going in for service. Listening to "Dr Laura" is DEFINITELY a sign of "misuse and abuse" of the Raptor and could possibly void the entire warranty! (Not to mention the lawsuits you could get into should someone at the dealer listen accidentally)

Just tryin' to keep you out of trouble...

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: