Ford Dealer addressing turbo lag and poor throttel response

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think the Raptor is underpowered in just normal driving mode. it concerns you enough that you feel this is dangerous. I agree. You should just go get yourself a different truck that's more known for it's power. I apparently bought the super Raptor without even knowing it because it seems to do real good even in normal mode getting where I need to be and it's odd, but when I need to get there quickly I push my foot on that thing on the floor board and it seems to pass everything else. I may be doing something wrong

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously you didn't get my attempt at "tongue in cheek" humor. Sorry to have made you waste your electrons responding...

Of course Ford isn't going to do anything!!! Even though the stock Gen2 is a somewhat dangerous sled in normal aggressive traffic situations unless you are pushing it pretty hard, they will work to upgrade fleet mpg standards at the expense of performance.

The turbo lag I can live with (it comes with the territory), but the poor throttle response in this vehicle will lead to wrecks. Kind of like automakers' original attempts at traction control. A body shop's dream...

Don't get me wrong, the GEN2 has great, smooth HP and torque response under hard driving conditions. Sport mode, lock out gears 7-10, use the paddle shifters and this truck rocks. Ran mine thru the paces in the mountains last weekend under the parameters above. Go on fast dirt BLM roads (CO and WY), lock out 6-10, take off traction control and have a ball!

I just have to be careful around town in Normal mode when pulling out into traffic or changing lanes on the freeway.

BTW: My understanding of turbo lag is the momentary delay in increased intake air flow due to the fact that upon acceleration demand, the engine has to build sufficient exhaust flow/pressure to spool up the turbo to gain full intake boost airflow/psi.

As a side note: Mercedes/AMG (and others) are working on some interesting solutions. AMG is converting to a 48 volt electrical system to drive an in-line intake booster pump ahead of the twin turbos. As you probably know, without a variable frequency drive, an electric motor is essentially instant on. The electric intake booster pump gives instant (perceived to the driver) boost and once the conventional turbo lag is passed, the electric boost shuts off. All occurs in milliseconds. Pretty cool pairing of hybrid/conventional technologies.

I hope you have a nice day.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Where haven't you "been there"?

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Respectfully, I'm not sure that you fully understand your truck. My turbo increaser button is in the trunk, just to the right side of the trunk release. You might have been referring to the ***** presser button in the back passenger seat glove box.

No. It depends on your build date. Mine was built on the 5th alternating Thursday of the month. It's a special order so you don't have to get out of the vehicle to activate it