Ford & Carfax's awful policy. BE AWARE !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Hardy

Reaction score
A lot of times the state consumer act provides for attorneys fees. So find the guy that specializes in consumer actions...you won’t pay for it if they think there’s a consumer violation. Free consult too. Given car fax’s adamant refusal there could be punitive damages available.

D

Deleted member 12951

The only way Carfax could be getting the data from the parts department with your matched VIN, is the Ford Dealership is selling it to Carfax. I blame the Ford Dealership for selling it but geez, Carfax needs to be more forgiving if a claim is contested. Did you ask the dealership why they are doing this and they need to stop giving Carfax that information? Is that the same dealership that wrote you that letter?

Good to know though, I usually order from tascaparts.com and never put in my VIN. I have purchased a few parts from the local dealership and they do ask for the last VIN digits. Moral of the story, don't give out your VIN to shops when getting parts and don't do Carbon Fiber (not that I would even consider that hideous shit).

OP
OP
EL Snagadore

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of times the state consumer act provides for attorneys fees. So find the guy that specializes in consumer actions...you won’t pay for it if they think there’s a consumer violation. Free consult too. Given car fax’s adamant refusal there could be punitive damages available.
I will check into it. appreciate the info Thanks.
The only way Carfax could be getting the data from the parts department with your matched VIN, is the Ford Dealership is selling it to Carfax. I blame the Ford Dealership for selling it but geez, Carfax needs to be more forgiving if a claim is contested. Did you ask the dealership why they are doing this and they need to stop giving Carfax that information? Is that the same dealership that wrote you that letter?

Good to know though, I usually order from tascaparts.com and never put in my VIN. I have purchased a few parts from the local dealership and they do ask for the last VIN digits. Moral of the story, don't give out your VIN to shops when getting parts and don't do Carbon Fiber (not that I would even consider that hideous shit).
No it was Ford automotive not the dealership. Its our shop we never knew they did this, lesson learned. The amount of parts that we order its best to provide VINS that way there is no confusion if its a right part or not, but this shit is crazy. A few companies have jumped on board. Jeep Ford and Chevy for sure.

dirtgod

Reaction score
You need to speak to a consumer rights lawyer. They are acting like a credit bureau and stealing value from you with the policy you described. Credit bureaus have been held responsible for capricious policy and so should Carfax. Unfortunately I doubt carfax is heavy regulated by federal law. Nevertheless, I imagine you have a legal theory upon which you may be able to recover.

^^^this. It could ultimately be a class action for this specific behavior. It’s tantamount to libel. And with any damages (which is easy to prove as to resale etc), stick ‘em with some punitive damages to deter this chicken sh$t stuff

Primez

Reaction score
Watch what happens now, Carfax will have a class action suite at some point. Soon as people figure this issue out they will order parts and use a vehicles VIN from a listing on Ebay, from a mall parking lot, or stroll through a dealership and take a picture. Imagine that? You purchase a new vehicle and a month later you have minor damage from a date that is before you purchased the vehicle... lol... Let a dealership go through this ******** and watch how the company takes a different stance on it.
I’m going to start ordering cheap parts for the highest priced VIN numbers on the lot. Imagine the outrage when the dealer tries to sell a brand new fully loaded Roushe Raptor R.... with minor damage that never left the showroom floor.

oh... even better... next time you guys are eyeing a new truck on the lot, go order a 5$ part, then get yourself a nice CarFax discount :anitoof:

Gearheadfmc

Reaction score
Same story here...... lost about $3k when the carfux said my Shelby had "Frame Damage". I paid an auto-inspector to check the frame and he could find nothing. I crawled around every inch of the chassis and underbody and could not find anything. The new buyer was a body shop guy. He crawled al over as well and could not find anything -- had all the factory glue and seam sealer! Long story short, impossible to work with carfux and it sucks!

Steven_Born

Reaction score
Like some of the others, CarNoFax is not at all a valued service in my mind. The wifey wanted a new ride so we found an almost new BMW at the Toyota dealer, it had less than 8k miles and looked brand new. We asked the dealer why they traded it and was told that they did not like the ride and how it drove. We thought it had a front end issue because it sort of pulled when driven and had the CarNoFax pulled, it was clean. We were told by the BMW delaer that it was all wheel drive and that the front end would pull when accelerating hard. 4 years later go to sell it and now CarNoFax is reporting that the vehicle had front end damage on it, but did not make the report when we were purchasing the vehicle. Total scam, I almost refuse any vehicle CarNoFax report now.

gtirella

Reaction score
Carfax Sucks......see what happens when you have a car that you only drive ocassionally....they immediately start posting crap about missed maintenance....will never get involved with those a holes again....hope you best of luck with that situation.....

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Went to the place where we ordered the parts from. I had them write me an email and got some more documentation. I will keep you posted. If this isn't acceptable documentation then I don't know what else to do. Maybe drive my truck through Coreys living room so then he will have a reason to list damage lol I dunno...

View attachment 165081

View attachment 165082

View attachment 165083

View attachment 165085

You could post this information on Ford's and Carfax Facebook page to try and get public support.

It's been helpful to some that had issues and were quickly resolved once it went public.