Ford & Carfax's awful policy. BE AWARE !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Complete scumbags. Well, Carfax is. Ford is just doing something that hasn't been thought out too well and apparently other automotive manufactures are doing this is well, Jeep for sure. Some of you may know that I had my Hood vent and side vents made into carbon fiber. I ordered the original parts to be made into a mold. Obviously I couldn't use my own because its a lengthy process and I would have had a gaping hole in my hood and smaller holes on my fenders in my truck driving around, not to mention it gets ruined during the mold process. So I ordered the parts new from a Ford dealer. Last week went to go trade the truck in and the place tells me I have "Minor Damage" listed on the Carfax from 4/20/2020. I took possession of the truck sometime in February. It sat for a few months while I ordered a bunch of parts and painted everything to match. Then the Covid lock down started so I never even drove this truck in April. So I am thinking there is a mistake. I emailed Carfax and they were asking me to send in proof that there was no damage to the truck. "You want me to send proof of something that never happened" Do you hear what your asking? And the cowards that Ford are wish to remain anonymous. Of course they do.

After playing guessing games with Carfax one email led me to believe that it was the parts I ordered from Ford. It turned out to be correct. It appears that in attempts to deter people buying parts and having damaged fixed themselves to circumvent claims and damage on Carfax automotive companies and Carfax have taken it upon themselves to play the damage Gods and report certain interior and exterior OEM replacement parts as "Minor Damage". After Minor damage becomes listed its a complete joke to try and prove that you don't have damage. Here are pictures of the email thread between myself and Corey from Carfax. I sent them 10 pictures showing I do not have the stock items in question but they are actually upgrades and after market parts. Apparently hat was no good. Carfax said "Pictures can be doctored". So I then sent a video of me walking from my kitchen that has a smart fridge and range which show March 31st 2021 Philadelphia PA Light Rain on the display. I walk out the truck, in light rain, still continuing to video i open the door and video the VIN number. Then I video the Carbon fiber parts. I send that over and then get the response "Videos are not accepted, they are moving pictures". lol what a F'kn joke. Well what do you want me to do to prove there was never damage to my truck? Or do you want to keep making excuses why you won't remove it. Carfax nor any automotive manufacturer has the right to "assume" there is damage just because parts are ordered. If they are going to this then make the process a little easier to reverse it. Not to mention I ordered mirrors and the rear bumper step plate to make into carbon fiber. This poor truck will end up with "minor damage" on every section of it.SMH

Just a heads up beware if you order parts that aren't damage related. You might end up with a "Minor damage" Screenshot_2021-04-01 iCloud Mail - 5 matching results.png Screenshot_2021-04-01 iCloud Mail - 5 matching results(1).png Screenshot_2021-04-01 iCloud Mail - 5 matching results(2).png Screenshot_2021-04-01 iCloud Mail - 5 matching results(3).png Screenshot_2021-04-01 iCloud Mail - 5 matching results(4).png

David Hardy

Reaction score
You need to speak to a consumer rights lawyer. They are acting like a credit bureau and stealing value from you with the policy you described. Credit bureaus have been held responsible for capricious policy and so should Carfax. Unfortunately I doubt carfax is heavy regulated by federal law. Nevertheless, I imagine you have a legal theory upon which you may be able to recover.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a similar experience. The problem is not ford, it is car fax. They incent dealers, shops, and insurance for these "incidents". It makes car fax value more then it is worth.

I had a pristine 2000 Audi A6. I was the original owner. I went to trade it in, and the dealer comes back and tells me it has been in a "front end collision".

The real story, a guy in a Honda backed into my license plate in a parking lot. We got a police report, but I had literally no damage, and he decided to let his insurance repaint his bumper. His insurance used the police report to list may car as being involved. But again, I had no damage.

Car fax wanted $200 and 6 weeks to remove the listing from my car history. Total ******* scam.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Hmmm? Sounds like this may be more of a state thing rather than a nationwide policy. You are in Philly after all. That's right up there in a leftist stronghold area, so I'm not surprised at anything privacy-invasive that happens there.

edit: I see above that Carfax is the bad guy in this case.

OP
OP
EL Snagadore

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to speak to a consumer rights lawyer. They are acting like a credit bureau and stealing value from you with the policy you described. Credit bureaus have been held responsible for capricious policy and so should Carfax. Unfortunately I doubt carfax is heavy regulated by federal law. Nevertheless, I imagine you have a legal theory upon which you may be able to recover.
I agree 100% but do I really want to spend money for this.. Just ********...
I had a similar experience. The problem is not ford, it is car fax. They incent dealers, shops, and insurance for these "incidents". It makes car fax value more then it is worth.

I had a pristine 2000 Audi A6. I was the original owner. I went to trade it in, and the dealer comes back and tells me it has been in a "front end collision".

The real story, a guy in a Honda backed into my license plate in a parking lot. We got a police report, but I had literally no damage, and he decided to let his insurance repaint his bumper. His insurance used the police report to list may car as being involved. But again, I had no damage.

Car fax wanted $200 and 6 weeks to remove the listing from my car history. Total ******* scam.
Yeah I just have a problem with these automotive companies getting on board with something that has no merit to it. The burden should be on them to prove it is damage and not us to prove its not damage. I know a few people that have had similar situations as you had and same result.. Carfax are shitbags...
Hmmm? Sounds like this may be more of a state thing rather than a nationwide policy. You are in Philly after all. That's right up there in a leftist stronghold area, so I'm not surprised at anything privacy-invasive that happens there.

edit: I see above that Carfax is the bad guy in this case.
Awwwwww man don't get me started on this city.. that will take 6 pages of thread space. Our mayor and DA are complete shit bags as well, They should go join the board of directors at Carfax

It's too bad that suing them would cost way more than the loss in value. It's really lame of Ford to buy into this BS, though. Maybe some noises made in that direction would have an effect.
Its just so aggravating now that you can't even order parts now for any reason whatsoever.

NES431

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CarF*ck is the worst!!! My wife had a MB. Never in a crash (not even a scratch on it) with all scheduled maintenance performed. We went to trade it in and told the dealer it was clean. They called me a short time later basically accusing me of lying because the car f*cks said it had been in 4 crashes!!!! One in Oklahoma!!! The car NEVER left NJ!!!! They also over reported the miles by nearly double and had services performed in parts of the state hundreds of miles from our home that we never had been to!!! Tring to contact them is a joke and when I did get an "on-line" response the representative hung up on me "virtually" when I typed that I thought it was ridiculous (no profanity, just the word ridiculous) that they said it was on ME to prove their reporting was wrong. They are TOTAL D-BAGS. I got no where until I contacted NY 7 On Your Side News. Luckily I keep extensive records. They did a news story on it and the car-f*cks finally corrected the report because they were shamed into it on TV. I have a ton of messages on my Ford-Pass saying my truck is overdue for service because I don't use a car-f*ck reporting shop to perform oil changes or tire rotations. The problem is that they have been deemed by car companies and shops, that get a kick-back from them for reporting, as the gold standard so they are automatically believed over you.

If I ever saw that Car-Fox on the road, I'd run his ass over!!!

Good luck!!!

OP
OP
EL Snagadore

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch what happens now, Carfax will have a class action suite at some point. Soon as people figure this issue out they will order parts and use a vehicles VIN from a listing on Ebay, from a mall parking lot, or stroll through a dealership and take a picture. Imagine that? You purchase a new vehicle and a month later you have minor damage from a date that is before you purchased the vehicle... lol... Let a dealership go through this ******** and watch how the company takes a different stance on it.