Ford & Carfax's awful policy. BE AWARE !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
So, when the Dealer installed my new transmission, would I get flagged for major Damage?

I wouldn't think so but from everything I've read it appears that the way things are handled it's a scam operation.

As far as giving them someone else's VIN, it wouldn't match your name so I don't know if that would work, however, It might because it probably doesn't do a cross reference, who knows.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parts data base that they use doesn't verify the VIN to a name. It's more to verify that the vehicle actually has said part and match color codes if applicable. Think interior trim pieces. You could get King Ranch interior for your Raptor on accident if you didn't get it right but technically its the correct part. As far as I know the only place VINs are tied directly to an name is with the DMV, insurance and your bank if you have a loan.

With that being said you can order from Ford parts online and it won't require a VIN. You select the closest dealer and it will ship from there/you pick up in person. I've done this a couple of times with no VIN associated for some interior bits.

OP
OP
EL Snagadore

EL Snagadore

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called the dealer to get a price on the plastic bumper piece and they said they needed my VIN. Why do you need my vin when I gave you the part number? Still need your VIN. No thanks. I knew something was fishy. Should have used the VIN from one of the trucks on their lot like someone already mentioned. WTF
YUP.... straight scumbags.... Start harvesting new truck vins lol... Start a list on here so no one buys a new truck with a tainted VIN.. No but dead serious thats what people will start doing across the board. This will turn into a nightmare for dealers and people.
So, when the Dealer installed my new transmission, would I get flagged for major Damage?

I wouldn't think so but from everything I've read it appears that the way things are handled it's a scam operation.

As far as giving them someone else's VIN, it wouldn't match your name so I don't know if that would work, however, It might because it probably doesn't do a cross reference, who knows.
I don't think a transmission replacement would. Thats a possibility of a warranty or recall issue. Yeah but when I order parts through the shop its under the shop name if I give any VIN. You can walk in to a dealer order a part, give a vin, come back and pick it up. Unless they start asking for ID. Shit sorry I mixed one letter or number on my own VIN, My bad... you deal with it I sold the truck.
The parts data base that they use doesn't verify the VIN to a name. It's more to verify that the vehicle actually has said part and match color codes if applicable. Think interior trim pieces. You could get King Ranch interior for your Raptor on accident if you didn't get it right but technically its the correct part. As far as I know the only place VINs are tied directly to an name is with the DMV, insurance and your bank if you have a loan.

With that being said you can order from Ford parts online and it won't require a VIN. You select the closest dealer and it will ship from there/you pick up in person. I've done this a couple of times with no VIN associated for some interior bits.
absolutely correct.

JimC427

Reaction score
Carfax likes to make their own rules and guidelines. Yes they provide some good information but posting items that are not true to a vehicle history report is very bad. Instead of proving your innocence they should have proof of exactly where they got information on minor damage..buying parts is not damage.

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you order fender flares from Tasca Parts if they will report to Carfax? Some ******* hit my truck in the parking lot and took off. Nothing bad but, needs a new wheel flare.

ams mike

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is nuts! Your emails are great Anthony. Corey is most likely in hiding now.

Hope you get the proper resolution and they remove the nonsense from the report.