Flash Counter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamecock44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents, saw in an earlier thread that it seems like the only way a dealer can tell if you have modded your truck with any type of performance chip was is if the Raptor has a "Flash Counter". How I understand it is if it doesn't you can just change your settings back to factory for scheduled maintenance and its all good.

So big question is does this thing even exist and if so is it in the Raptor or are we free to play?
Thanks for the help and apologies if it has already been answered.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gents, saw in an earlier thread that it seems like the only way a dealer can tell if you have modded your truck with any type of performance chip was is if the Raptor has a "Flash Counter". How I understand it is if it doesn't you can just change your settings back to factory for scheduled maintenance and its all good.

So big question is does this thing even exist and if so is it in the Raptor or are we free to play?
Thanks for the help and apologies if it has already been answered.

^^This. I have the same question.

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
me 3, i would like to know before i void the warranty when my x3 comes in or if i need to find a friendly ford dealer

moodster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a field service rep for Ford as a customer at our business,I asked him about this,if you have a engine issue and a rep looks into the system on the truck,they will be able to see that a remap was done.And in his words,if it is a broken engine,the warranty in all likely would not take care of it.

FX4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can attest 100% they can see it's been flashed, and take you to the cleaners.. I got nailed when the injectors stuck open on my 05 FX4 and hydrolocked the motor.. I had no problem with the you have a tune, you pay for repairs if it breaks; my issue is that I got a letter saying this was a know problem from the factory and I got stuck with the bill.. They will eat your lunch if your tuned even for recalls in my experience..

A lot depends on the dealer and how 'mod' friendly they are. I have none around me.. Which blows, I have to drive to ft worth to find the nearest mod friendly dealer.

In short if you can afford the repairs feel free to tune, if you want a no hassle warranty it's easier not to tune. I'd love to tune a raptor because I know the difference it made with a measly 5.4l, but I don't want to mess with pulling all kinds of parts off and then messing with the service department.

OP
OP
Gamecock44

Gamecock44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's so ridiculous...Performance is what every car company should focus on. I doubt back in the late 60's and 70's when people were draggin out their Mustangs and Fairlanes to take out the Chevelles and Camaros the dealers cared that much...I guess its the times we live in.

Either way I already ordered the X3 so I doubt I will be able to show restraint and wait the 5 years til the warranty is up to use it. Oh well. Anyone know of those "friendly dealers" in the San Diego area?

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
That's so ridiculous...Performance is what every car company should focus on. I doubt back in the late 60's and 70's when people were draggin out their Mustangs and Fairlanes to take out the Chevelles and Camaros the dealers cared that much...I guess its the times we live in.

We can thank the diesel crowd for this... Things get more fun and more risky when you start playing with boost. Too many people would mod their trucks then throw up their shoulders when the engine would need replacing etc. Dealers/manufacturers got sick of it and now they are super strict about it.

FX4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its totally unrelated to the raptor in reference to what CineSLR said look into the 'rules' for an ecoboost's warranty... Its basically you modify it at all from original specs and your done. :superhack:

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep. the diesel guys did it. I ran my 09 F250 diesel up to 600hp without any issues, but KNEW they could tell me to get ****** if they found I tuned it, MOSTLY because damage to a diesel engine would be catastrophic, and upwards of $20,000 to replace the entire engine (gotta pull the whole truck off the frame).

On gas trucks, they seem to not care, mostly because the gas trucks aren't turbo (the new V6 is though), and still could not be damaged due to tuning (usually).

With a turbo, you can tune the heads thru the hood if you're not careful.

I think each dealer is different, and if you go in with a problem (1 out of 10,000 chance anyway), the failure would have to be in direct correlation with the tune.

If your AC went out, they can't blame it on the tuner.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can attest 100% they can see it's been flashed, and take you to the cleaners.. I got nailed when the injectors stuck open on my 05 FX4 and hydrolocked the motor.. I had no problem with the you have a tune, you pay for repairs if it breaks; my issue is that I got a letter saying this was a know problem from the factory and I got stuck with the bill.. They will eat your lunch if your tuned even for recalls in my experience..

A lot depends on the dealer and how 'mod' friendly they are. I have none around me.. Which blows, I have to drive to ft worth to find the nearest mod friendly dealer.

In short if you can afford the repairs feel free to tune, if you want a no hassle warranty it's easier not to tune. I'd love to tune a raptor because I know the difference it made with a measly 5.4l, but I don't want to mess with pulling all kinds of parts off and then messing with the service department.

FX4 what dealer do you use in Ft. Worth