First Raptor! Long overdue, but love it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - recently joined the form as my Raptor search started to heat up, and this fall I was able to get into a 2017 Raptor (Avalanche paint) with 68k miles! This is my first Raptor, though I've been eyeballing them for about 10 years. I moved from a Tahoe LTZ (had two during that time), as my need for an SUV changed. This one has the AMP Research automatic sidesteps / running boards, a performance exhaust option from Ford and an aftermarket intake.

Like everyone here, I really enjoy driving, and this truck has not disappointed! Whether opening it up on the highway or ripping around the pastures, I love this truck! The color choice (Avalanche) wasn't my original plan (I was looking for black), but it's grown on me, and under different light, it seems to vary from a titanium white to a titanium grey. It took a bit to get used to sound change moving from a V8 to a V6, but with the performance exhaust it's still fun without being too much (has a nice rumble when you start it up).

This one also came with the spray-in bed liner and the BAK X2 heavy duty roll-up tonneau cover.

I had an opportunity to buy a 2014 Gen 1 with similar mileage for the same money (but a custom grill that was basically a large screen), and when comparing the upgrades for the Gen 2 (plus 3 years newer) - I decided to go with 2017. I traded in with some financing, and that decision helped there as well. I was also fortunate to find this my back yard (relatively speaking), as I had opened up my search to include everything 1000 miles out. I was also able to purchase before dealers started tacking on the market increase for new and used vehicles.

Screenshot_20220128-130102_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
crash

crash

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats. That’s a fresh looking Rap and that color is quite dreamy. You don’t see many of them. Any mods planned? Enjoy it.
Thanks! And yes - it doesn't look heavily abused like some of the Raptors I was seeing, so that helped. Agree on the color, and that's been the general feedback as well. Happy to have a color that's uncommon. As for mods, that's a great question? Not really sure! I had all kinds of ideas when I was looking. This one has exhaust and intake, and the automatic/retractable side steps. And speaking of those steps! They sure don't like snow and ice build up, so I have them retracted with the fuse pulled. I am planning to wire them into an auxiliary switch to be able turn them on/off without pulling the fuse, which would be nice in the winter. I also thought about maybe one of the low rise brush guards, maybe a tune? I'm thinking that I should plan on an eventual rebuild or replace of the shocks. Anything you recommend in terms of mods?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!

Kudos for scrubbing down the tire shine before FRF pics. But...
no mods? look at those empty bumper slots where all those lights could go...
;-)

#OneLessprius