fender flares oxidating flaking finish ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
c4sxm5

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably depends on which one you need. I need passenger rear and was told it would take a few days.

natron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is the driver side rear. I talked to the service manager Thursday and said it should be off back order this past Friday or tomorrow.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anybody verify if the replacement Gen 2 flares in the dealer parts supply chain have the same issue with paint peeling etc?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I’ve had no pealing issues with my 2018 in 4 years and 71+k miles now. I replaced the right rear flare (~$500!) about a year ago after i damaged it on a mail box. No cool off-road story, just a mail box! Anyway, still no pealing issues. Seems like Ford may have changed suppliers for the plastic materials, but my replacement was like original.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Therein lies the conundrum. How do you know if a part is new or old enough stock to not create a new problem by putting on a part from a bad run.
Arggghh, an idiot got me on a hit and run while parked and then I got scammed by [email protected] so I'm really paying for this one. I found a local dealer (not my normal dealer) that will sell new for $360. The truck is a 2020 model year that has not had any problems with a Ford extended warranty. Where would I stand if a new one peels? Any ideas?

Last edited:

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was at the dealership for service anyway and they had one in stock and I got it for 370 (10% over cost). The box was date coded about March 2021. So don't know if I wasted the money or not. From what I'm seeing on our web sample it doesn't seem to matter what region of the country or gen 2 or 3 or maybe even as far back as gen 1!
Anybody have a good idea when this problem started, which models it affects and if Ford has made any changes to address it?

Last edited:

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update. I got my rear flares replaced under warranty and just noticed that my driver side flare is starting to flake… and now one of the replaced ones is too. Ugh