Fell in love with a raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

nauticalx

Reaction score
You'll want to get in touch with your local dealers and see if you can get in line on the '23 models IMO. See if one of them will order one at MSRP when the 23 order books open. Possibly October again. It will be hard to find a '22 to order at MSRP now, the books have been open since 10/1.
Thanks. Is there a way to verify a dealer has an allocation?
Trying to avoid getting lied to and wasting time with the wrong dealer because couldn't one simply just take the order and let it sit fully knowing they have no more allocations?

gkrane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to avoid getting lied to and wasting time with the wrong dealer because couldn't one simply just take the order and let it sit fully knowing they have no more allocations?
I really don't think so. There are quite a few forum members who put deposits down on trucks that the dealer told them they had an allocation for and didn't.

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went early (June) and put my deposit down 4 months before the books opened, so I would get their first allocation. If your dealer usually gets allocations, they should get at least ONE, so that was my plan.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll want to get in touch with your local dealers and see if you can get in line on the '23 models IMO. See if one of them will order one at MSRP when the 23 order books open. Possibly October again. It will be hard to find a '22 to order at MSRP now, the books have been open since 10/1.

The issue is MSRP dealers willing to do business with out-of-towners are booked 50+ customers back for a small handful of allocations for 22. The remaining customers in line are prebooked for 23’s. I’ll repeat what others have said - the brief era of msrp orders is over unless you got an inside connection or live in a small town with a dealer willing to prioritize you over non-local customers.

Edit - just noticed your post mentioned local dealers. Spot on.

miles

Reaction score
I have a good hack that helped me find the exact Raptor I wanted and get the Raptor in my driveway in under 4 weeks. Fully loaded and negotiated a $7.5k fee over MSRP. Use the TruCar app to search your area. Call each dealership and ask to speak to the manager. Inquire about the Raptor that is listed with them. Many dealerships have Raptors 1-3 weeks out on delivery. Ask if they are flexible with the markup. Start by offering $5k. Some dealerships are flexible and some not at all. They have a buyer for every truck so if you can negotiate in advance using the window sticker then chances are you can put a deposit down in advance and a truck will be on lot in a few weeks. I specifically wanted a white 2021 801a fully loaded. Truck is amazing but it came with the graphics package and the lava red had to go LOL. It looked wild with the red graphics. Mine also didn’t come with anything in the bed so I had them put in aftermarket spray and an amazing bed cover. Anyway, much much easier to negotiate a Raptor that is already headed toward the dealership than put in a new order. Also, some dealerships are allocated 0 Raptors, some 2 Raptors (average) and some monster dealerships get 20+ a year. I had to drive 1.5hrs to a neighboring state to get mine but it was worth it. Koons Woodbridge, VA for example is a monster Ford dealership with tons of trucks going through. Took me three weeks for truck to arrive then one wee for aftermarket, then home! Otherwise, there are many Gen 2 on Carmax and Vroom. For Carmax, you can reserve any car across the nation while you consider and have anything shipped to your location for ~$1000 or less. I test drove a gen 1 and gen 2 before deciding that since I would be paying over MSRP for used might as well go brand new. Good luck. The truck is amazing BTW. Can’t park it anywhere normal but hey you can park on the sidewalk…LOL.

Mars911red

Reaction score
I always heard they were wide and tough to park, but now that I have one, it really sinks in how wide these are. I parked in a space this weekend where the tires on both sides were on the lines of the space, which wasn't marked for a prius, but must have been for one.

Nauticx,
Going forward, it is an unspoken rule to talk crap about prius's. Unless you have one, then please, please post that on the forum. :) Welcome to the club. I found mine a month ago by looking on the Ford site on distance dealers in surrounding states and caught one when it happened to show up on the dealer and didn't have a buyer.

BryBurger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP… do the usual search on Forddotcom and spam dealers that are listing Raptors. You may have to drive a bit out to find a dealer willing to give a half decent deal. Im having to drive out 100 miles but there are plenty that drive much farther!

Having a 2ndary email for stuff like this helps too. Good luck!

Last edited:

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a good hack that helped me find the exact Raptor I wanted and get the Raptor in my driveway in under 4 weeks. Fully loaded and negotiated a $7.5k fee over MSRP. Use the TruCar app to search your area. Call each dealership and ask to speak to the manager. Inquire about the Raptor that is listed with them. Many dealerships have Raptors 1-3 weeks out on delivery. Ask if they are flexible with the markup. Start by offering $5k. Some dealerships are flexible and some not at all. They have a buyer for every truck so if you can negotiate in advance using the window sticker then chances are you can put a deposit down in advance and a truck will be on lot in a few weeks. I specifically wanted a white 2021 801a fully loaded. Truck is amazing but it came with the graphics package and the lava red had to go LOL. It looked wild with the red graphics. Mine also didn’t come with anything in the bed so I had them put in aftermarket spray and an amazing bed cover. Anyway, much much easier to negotiate a Raptor that is already headed toward the dealership than put in a new order. Also, some dealerships are allocated 0 Raptors, some 2 Raptors (average) and some monster dealerships get 20+ a year. I had to drive 1.5hrs to a neighboring state to get mine but it was worth it. Koons Woodbridge, VA for example is a monster Ford dealership with tons of trucks going through. Took me three weeks for truck to arrive then one wee for aftermarket, then home! Otherwise, there are many Gen 2 on Carmax and Vroom. For Carmax, you can reserve any car across the nation while you consider and have anything shipped to your location for ~$1000 or less. I test drove a gen 1 and gen 2 before deciding that since I would be paying over MSRP for used might as well go brand new. Good luck. The truck is amazing BTW. Can’t park it anywhere normal but hey you can park on the sidewalk…LOL.
A “good hack” is not starting your negotiations over MSRP or paying it at anytime.