Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lukefiasco

Reaction score
I did some exploring today. It appears what ever exhaust mode you're in when unplugging the actuators, is the mode your truck will remain in (quiet, normal, sport, baja). Please note: I did not fully stress test this, just a few times in the driveway/up the road. If anything changes I'll report back.

For any folks choosing to take this route- I would only call this a work-around until you can get your truck fixed through the TSB.
You have any pictures or video on how you unplugged these? I feel like I’m going to rip these things apart so I’m sure I’m missing some technique or fastener

DCM

Reaction score
Dealer was finally able to get the parts and performed the TSB. Rattle is still there although it seems go away faster than before and the overall pitch of the exhaust seems a little different. Going to try unplugging the valves. This rattle is driving me crazy.

DCM

Reaction score
You have any pictures or video on how you unplugged these? I feel like I’m going to rip these things apart so I’m sure I’m missing some technique or fastener
There’s a little white clip at the top that you slide towards the wires, then the black plug easily pulls out. IMG_7868.jpeg

DCM

Reaction score
Unplugging the actuators is not going to work for me. It did eliminate the rattle completely (after a couple of restarts), but it also completly changes the sound of the exhaust to something that sounds like a 4 cylinder Honda. Very quiet throughout RPMs, with absolutly no growl. Much quieter than even when it was in quiet mode with the plugs attached. Have tried unplugging while in baja, normal, and quiet modes all with the same result. I was also able to verify that the new style springs were installed when it went in for the TSB. I guess it's back to the dealer. I've now been tring to get this fixed for 13 months.

MikeJones603

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut the actuator assemblies out... weld in new pipe and leave actuators plugged in and tied to the bed(eliminates the check engine light). Done
Decent work around, but you loose the functionality of the variable exhaust. Not sure what your truck sounds like, but cold starts on my truck w my actuators unplugged sounds like complete garbage.