6.2 Exhaust Question-Please Advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my raptor for close to 3 weeks, Wednesday it is going in for mid-perch, AFE stage 2 CAI, 5 star tune(93 perf), Rigid 20" bar, d2 driving, and d2 wides all in white. I have read the hell out of the forum and I am totally good with all these mods(please tell me if you do not agree). Thanks to all for posting great info on just about everything possible for us nubes. I am not mechanically inclined at all, so someone else has to do all the work. The guy doing the install on all this came highly referred by a close friend who has 2 race cars currently with their shop. The owner is the guy I spoke to, and does much of the work himself.

Finally the question: I was going to do sw long tube headers and full exhaust, but he said that is $2500(with labor) for less than 20hp, maybe even less than that. He got up under my truck and said, just replace the muffler for less restriction and better sound( a Dynomax VT-my 2 young girls sleep directly above the garage in my house, gotta be somewhat quiet on start and leave). He said the stock set up was pretty good, and that the need for headers and full exhaust is really only needed for a supercharger(which I am considering down the road).

Is this fairly sound and accurate advice? I would like to do the headers and full exhaust, but if I can get close to the same effect(sound and free up exhaust some) for $200(muffler and some black tips for looks) vs $2500, then I can spend that money on something else, and wait till I supercharge it to do the full blown exhaust and headers. How much more hp/performance wouls I get from the full blown set-up? Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
he gave u bad advice. the install is not $2500. around $1000 and up but NO more than $1500 from a shop that knows what they are doing. $2500 quote may be from someone either really expensive or too scared to lose their shirt doing it because they never installed it before.

gains are over 20hp. ive seen it myself. we dynoed at KHC once and a guy with the same mods as me at the time AFE CAI, 5 star tune, and i had a cat back and he had full SW and he put down about 30+ hp and 30+ tq more than me. its all in the tune to get the most power out of the full exhaust.

now the biggest problem is being quiet....maybe headers with SW chambered might not be too bad. i got headers and the lightning style exit and i have heard the S tube mufflers and with both of these there is no quiet lol.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any mod is a good mod. It's your truck, in the end who cares what others think.

OP
OP
RaptorFlipper

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nickpick83, thanks for the advice. He was quoting the price for the headers and exhaust and the labor. Sorry if I was not clear. I get your point though. Since the muffler is so cheap, I can try it, maybe dyno it, and then do the exhaust and headers later to see the true gain. Wow! so just to confirm, 30 hp gain with just the headers and exhaust? Thanks.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No poblem. Also my butt dyno feels like I gained a good bit in power. My truck absolutely pulls harder than before

Wow so he was saying $2500 installed? Damn I would jump on that! Can't beat that price for parts and labor
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was going to say 2500 is a good price if it's a full system longer and two mufflers. but if it's installed too way good. and yes I feel that seat power.