Exhaust exiting before rear tire? Anyone else looking for this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Beef,

I'd be all over a setup exiting in front of the rear tire. A tie back to my Lightning roots as well, and thats how I've had the exhaust on both of my 00 HD trucks. Definitely sign me up for a catback setup exiting in front of the rear tire. Should cut some cost too since it saves the extra hangars and funky bends going over the axle.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Beef,

I'd be all over a setup exiting in front of the rear tire. A tie back to my Lightning roots as well, and thats how I've had the exhaust on both of my 00 HD trucks. Definitely sign me up for a catback setup exiting in front of the rear tire. Should cut some cost too since it saves the extra hangars and funky bends going over the axle.

I thought about doing the same for exactly those reasons but I don't want the drone and noise with it exiting under the rear of the cab. It's really bothersome if you do a lot of towing, especially on grades.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Im constantly knocking my exhaust off it hangers. It not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beef,

Careful to not squish it then! One bad rock can ruin your setup.
I haven't done too much extreme stuff yet, but know if I take out my exhaust where I have it set up, I'll likely have bigger problems with the driveshaft meaning I did something the truck wasn't meant to do.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought about doing the same for exactly those reasons but I don't want the drone and noise with it exiting under the rear of the cab. It's really bothersome if you do a lot of towing, especially on grades.

It is a bit louder with it in front of the rear tire than after, but I do like some noise from the exhaust, stock is just too quiet for me. I don't have any plans of doing full exhaust or cats, so I think the Lightning exit would be just enough for me.

Careful to not squish it then! One bad rock can ruin your setup.
I haven't done too much extreme stuff yet, but know if I take out my exhaust where I have it set up, I'll likely have bigger problems with the driveshaft meaning I did something the truck wasn't meant to do.

I'm not quite following where the concern area is. Looking at whtrapta's pic, the exhaust looks to be practically even with the running board brackets or the bottom of the frame rail since it comes out where the frame rail ramps up for the rear axle. Are you guys talking about high centering the truck? I don't plan on dragging the entire frame of my truck along boulders. I would think in front of the tire even with the bottom of the frame rail has more clearance for obstacles than behind the tire where it's now the lowest point and potentially interfering on approach/departure angles.

Not to mention, tips behind the tire get NASTY FAST. A light sprinkle and they instantly turn road grime gray. In front of the tire isn't hugely better, but they do stay a bit cleaner longer, and don't take a pelting as much from crap thrown from the tire.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Not to mention, tips behind the tire get NASTY FAST. A light sprinkle and they instantly turn road grime gray. In front of the tire isn't hugely better, but they do stay a bit cleaner longer, and don't take a pelting as much from crap thrown from the tire.

This was my biggest thing. I changed the setup 3 times before this one. Mine would always have mud and crap on them. They stay pretty clean for a long time here