Engine replaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SEANRAPTOR

Reaction score
So how many of those gen 2 owners out there have high mileage engines and trans and replaced their engine and or trans to keep their gen 2? I’m at 52k and I really like my raptor and I am hoping I am very far away from having to think about getting another one. What if you really like the gen 2? Do you swap engine and trans and restart or buy a whole new gen 3 or low mileage get 2?

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow what was the price on that after all said and done?
Well I did alot of other upgrades at the same time like downpipes, turbos, manifolds, ported heads, HPFP, suspension, bumpers, lights, and wheels and tires. It was a complete make over. Stage 2 Short block was like 8k I think. Would have to look back.

Nitropup

Reaction score
So how many of those gen 2 owners out there have high mileage engines and trans and replaced their engine and or trans to keep their gen 2? I’m at 52k and I really like my raptor and I am hoping I am very far away from having to think about getting another one. What if you really like the gen 2? Do you swap engine and trans and restart or buy a whole new gen 3 or low mileage get 2?

The engine in my 2020 let go around 35k. Not sure what happened, as the dealership never tore down the engine. All I can say is the harmonic balancer probably gave way, or something in the bottom end. Now I've got 55k miles and the trans is really struggling. If you are going to keep it get an extended warranty.......

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The engine in my 2020 let go around 35k. Not sure what happened, as the dealership never tore down the engine. All I can say is the harmonic balancer probably gave way, or something in the bottom end. Now I've got 55k miles and the trans is really struggling. If you are going to keep it get an extended warranty.......
How does a transmission “struggle”? The only time I’ve seen a harmonic balancer fail is when engine work is performed and the pulley bolt it not replaced and torqued properly. It’s not actually the harmonic balancer that causes the damage, it’s the lack of torque holding the crank gear.

Nitropup

Reaction score
How does a transmission “struggle”? The only time I’ve seen a harmonic balancer fail is when engine work is performed and the pulley bolt it not replaced and torqued properly. It’s not actually the harmonic balancer that causes the damage, it’s the lack of torque holding the crank gear.
Frequently my transmission “struggles” to find the correct gear. Usually at highway speed with cruise control on. Kind of feels like switching gears on a cheap mountain bike. It just bangs around until the gears catch hold.....or I can hit the gas and force the downshift. That usually clears it up.

As far as the balancer goes, I will never know exactly what happened. I took off from a stop light and suddenly the engine started vibrating. I pulled over to check it out and saw the crank pulley bouncing around pretty good. The dealership said they tested the oil and found a lot of metal, so Ford replaced everything including the turbos. I was expecting a nightmare, but fortunately the dealer got me on the road in about a month.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Frequently my transmission “struggles” to find the correct gear. Usually at highway speed with cruise control on. Kind of feels like switching gears on a cheap mountain bike. It just bangs around until the gears catch hold.....or I can hit the gas and force the downshift. That usually clears it up.
Are you running the stock tire size? I’d recommend performing an Adaptive Reset with ForScan; it re-learns the transmission shift strategy.