Electric Assist Raptor.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 2020 Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring SUV comes with a 3.0 Ecoboost plus an electric motor that puts out 494 hp and 630 ft/lbs or torque. Imagine a grown up version of that power plant in a future Raptor. An electric motor typically puts out 100% of its torque starting at 1rpm. Just saying....

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Looks good on paper, but I think you gotta plug it in every day if you do any serious driving. That would get old.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Electric is married to the electronics. The only way that the electric bikes can make it around the 37 miles of the Isle of Man is by electronically governing the power. They can make plenty of power, the Lightning will do over 200mph stock, but... that cuts the range down to next to nothing.

But the Rap is already there. There’s more electronics on an 802A Raptor than the space shuttle. Electric assist, even in an immature introduction could be used to push off on full throttle starts, or to substitute for gas power in part throttle giving better performance with improved economy. Sure, it’s going to run out of battery at some point, but you’ve still got petrol power.

Or, maybe they trim some more weight, sub in some batteries and give us silent mode. :) for short distances.

yeah, lots of potential here.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
800 pounds is a lot, even with substantially more torque. ALL of the suspension and frame are going to need looked at, new springs, shocks, control arms, joints, tires... everything. 400 pounds? ok, maybe - heck, an extra spare, fuel, water and bed rack is 400 and the Rap does fine loaded with that. But 800 more pounds --every day-- plus what we’re keeping in the bed for off road fun?

I like the power numbers and the idea of supplemental electric power, but I am not a fan of that much of a weight penalty. It is pretty efficient though if you think about it -for 800 pounds, you get basically 1.24 prius worth of added power, without the stigma of having a prius. How cool is that?

I hope it makes it to the Raptor, and hope we can keep the weight in check.