Eco Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my boss just replaced his leased 2015 Ecoboost 4x4 with a brand new Escalade. I drove his Ecoboost back to his home. The truck has good acceleration, but it's not my Raptor. Jenny has a way better acceleration. His truck has 31K miles on it, and it has never given him one days problems. My Jenny has 10+K on it, again, no problems. His truck has factory 20" rims, which in turn, gave him larger disk brakes. This is the one area where his truck shines more than Jenny. I hit his brakes like I was driving Jenny, and my head flung forward. The 17" rims are definitely affecting how well our brakes grab. That being said, his truck does not ride as well as Jenny. Which is an obvious by product of the 20" rims.

He's driven his new Escalade for a few days now (6.0 V8). I asked him how he liked it, and I quote: "It's not the v6 in my truck. Those twin turbos are The Cats Ass. The Escalade does not accelerate as well, and the truck is a very close second to ride quality."

We all know that his EcoBoost does not accelerate as well as ours, and for sure, Jenny rides much much better. So Yes, we fools spent $60-$80K for our Hot, Bad Ass Raptors with a pathetic v6 that outruns and outrides $90-$100K v8 powered luxury brands. I do pity us fools, LMAO!!!!

Flatfuse

Reaction score
Traded in my Escalade EXT (6.2L) for a 17 screw. The only thing I miss is the fold down mid-gate and the ability to walk on top of the bed cover. The Raptor is certainly faster, gets better gas mileage and a lot more fun to drive. I did put on 170,000 miles on the EXT and never had a problem. I hope the Raptor holds up as well.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Traded in my Escalade EXT (6.2L) for a 17 screw. The only thing I miss is the fold down mid-gate and the ability to walk on top of the bed cover. The Raptor is certainly faster, gets better gas mileage and a lot more fun to drive. I did put on 170,000 miles on the EXT and never had a problem. I hope the Raptor holds up as well.

Check these out. I had one. You can walk on it or park an ATV on it! Strong, quiet, and they look great.

http://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondbackhd

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, my boss just replaced his leased 2015 Ecoboost 4x4 with a brand new Escalade. I drove his Ecoboost back to his home. The truck has good acceleration, but it's not my Raptor. Jenny has a way better acceleration. His truck has 31K miles on it, and it has never given him one days problems. My Jenny has 10+K on it, again, no problems. His truck has factory 20" rims, which in turn, gave him larger disk brakes. This is the one area where his truck shines more than Jenny. I hit his brakes like I was driving Jenny, and my head flung forward. The 17" rims are definitely affecting how well our brakes grab. That being said, his truck does not ride as well as Jenny. Which is an obvious by product of the 20" rims.

He's driven his new Escalade for a few days now (6.0 V8). I asked him how he liked it, and I quote: "It's not the v6 in my truck. Those twin turbos are The Cats Ass. The Escalade does not accelerate as well, and the truck is a very close second to ride quality."

We all know that his EcoBoost does not accelerate as well as ours, and for sure, Jenny rides much much better. So Yes, we fools spent $60-$80K for our Hot, Bad Ass Raptors with a pathetic v6 that outruns and outrides $90-$100K v8 powered luxury brands. I do pity us fools, LMAO!!!!

You sure the brakes are actually larger and it's not just that the base truck is much lighter and has lighter wheels and tires (flywheels)?

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a 16 f150 screw long box 3.5L Eco.

My 17 Raptor with the 3.5 HO Eco is noticeably better on power. 16 still isn't bad. Towing our 8K TT I was passing diesels uphills with her 16. Turbo's are wonderful things!
latest?cb=20140703125830.jpg

sp2pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I need to test drive a normal 3.5 eco F150.
I understand it's a big heavy ass truck, with big heavy tires, but street performance wise, I'm just not all that impressed.
Of course I'm coming from a modified and tuned 2011 STI.

As far as what a truck is supposed to do off-road, I've been thoroughly impressed.
Towing as well, but I only tow a small 6x10 trailer, I can barely notice it's even back there.

Last edited:

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure the brakes are actually larger and it's not just that the base truck is much lighter and has lighter wheels and tires (flywheels)?

The OP is wrong...the larger wheels on the standard F-150 do not give you larger brakes. Ford installs the largest brakes available that will fit in the base model rim. For example...a 17" F-150 XL base steel rim.

Same thing on the Super Duty: all trucks have the largest brakes that will fit in a 17" steel rim found on base model F-250 XL trucks. Only the F-450 (which only is available with 19.5" rims) gets larger brakes.

The standard F-150 will outbrake a Raptor any day of the week, despite the same brakes (actually, I found information suggesting the Raptor has 0.5" larger rear disc brakes than a standard 150)...is because the Raptor's suspension will dive forward and cause the rear brakes to be much less effective. That, and the KO2 tires are not as grippy as the standard Michelin's on the F-150 for street use...and they are a much heavier tire. All these things make the Raptor stop more poorly.

OP
OP
kandewinn

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did go back to his truck and look. Brakes are indeed same size. I assumed they were larger because it stops that much better. BUT, as was clearly my intent with the post, who cares!!! Jenny is at 11K now, and could not be happier. And, the fact that the brakes are same size does not make the original post entirely wrong. The 17" wheels definitely do change how well our trucks stop.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did go back to his truck and look. Brakes are indeed same size. I assumed they were larger because it stops that much better. BUT, as was clearly my intent with the post, who cares!!! Jenny is at 11K now, and could not be happier. And, the fact that the brakes are same size does not make the original post entirely wrong. The 17" wheels definitely do change how well our trucks stop.

It's not the diameter of the wheels it's the weight of the tires. If you put some street tires on your truck it will stop much better. Also, as others mentioned earlier, the longer travel suspension does let a LOT more weight transfer to the front (nose dive), which unloads the rear and takes the rear brakes almost entirely out of the equation. This can be significantly improved on the Gen 1 by increasing preload on the front shocks and on the Gen 2 by installing a shock perch collar.

Bottom line, though, Ford really needs to get with the program and offer Brembos as a factory option like GMC does.

OP
OP
kandewinn

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the diameter of the wheels it's the weight of the tires. If you put some street tires on your truck it will stop much better. Also, as others mentioned earlier, the longer travel suspension does let a LOT more weight transfer to the front (nose dive), which unloads the rear and takes the rear brakes almost entirely out of the equation. This can be significantly improved on the Gen 1 by increasing preload on the front shocks and on the Gen 2 by installing a shock perch collar.

Bottom line, though, Ford really needs to get with the program and offer Brembos as a factory option like GMC does.

Totally agree. Did a mid perch on my gen1, effectively eliminated nose dive. Will be installing collars eventually. But what I am talking about is pedal feel. No perch or collar is going to change that. Damn near ate his steering wheel applying the same pedal pressure I've become accustomed to since purchasing Jenny. Even my Gen 1, running 37 inch tires felt firmer than the new one.

Last edited: