E85 Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a topic I'm sure everyone (except Wilson) will abuse me for entertaining...

My Whipple installer has a dual tuner like Livernois.

a2y6eby8.jpg

He is going to do a dual tune: one for 93 octane, the other for E85. I am seriously considering going for it. As I'm sure you've heard from Wilson, E85 has as much as 105 octane rating and here in central Ohio it's all over the place and cheap

These guys are absolute pros and they are going to do it on both their shop raptor as well as their personal vehicles.

Comments welcome.

Let the abuse begin!...

OP
OP
Fastcote

Fastcote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this thread is starting about as I expected. :). Any quantitative or constructive comments??

I'm sure Whipple wouldn't Warranty it but long past the Whipple tune anyway. I'm certainly going to see what the shop raptor and their 5.0 liter behave like before I jump

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
E85 is going to destroy your fuel pumps, and fuel system, and fuel injectors. E85 is not equal to or about 105 octane and the octane is really more along the lines of 98. your entire fuel system will be destroyed in less then a year using E85. My 2010 F150 was made to run E85 and has completely different components to handle E85. A little research will show that there are no rubber hoses in a E85 fuel system and everything is replaced with stainless. The injectors are completely different and will fail quickly using E85. If you question my wisdom then lookup fuel injectors for our trucks versus a 2010 5.4 flex fuel... Autozone part numbers
2010 F150 flex fuel Part Number: 800-2039N
2010 6.2 Raptor after market only

There is a reason Autozone does not sell the 5.4 part number to 6.2 owners... Cause they wont work, if Autozone could get away with selling one for the other they certainly would....

If your vehicle is not made for ethanol or is non-E85 ready, it could cause iron components in your vehicle to corrode. Ethanol can also negatively affect electric fuel pumps by increasing internal wear, cause improper spark generation and cause erroneous fuel quantity indications.

Is Ethanol more fuel-efficient? Not really. Studies have shown that using 100% ethanol fuel decreases fuel-economy by 15 to 30 percent over the use of 100% gasoline. On the flip side, the benefits of ethanol are that it reduces America's dependence upon foreign oil and reduces greenhouse emissions.

Don't do it.....

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm just messing with you. I won't say anything negative about your tune, if you do decide to get it. If you have e85 readily available and you can get it cheap, 105 octane sounds good.

I would have to travel about an hour to find it around here, not sure how much it cost or how it compares to our local fuels. With all the negative reviews i have read, I am not going to rush out and try it myself. Good luck.

OP
OP
Fastcote

Fastcote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ice, appreciate your feedback. I'm just testing the waters to see what folks think. My tuner suggested fuel system upgrades including 100 lb/hour injectors (my 80 pound/hr whipple sticks would not be adequate!!)

I will likely wimp out unless their shop raptor shows real compelling results.

Then again, I did convert my 6 liter diesel to run straight veggy oil with outstanding results.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
more info for the hapless victims of Ethanol...

"There is no requirement to post octane on an E85 dispenser. If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests." [12]

Examples of this mis-citation can be found at the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association titled "E85 Facts"[13] which cites a range of 100-105, and a document at the Texas State Energy Conservation Office titled "Ethanol",[14] which cites a 113 rating.

Use of E85 in an engine designed specifically for gasoline would result in a loss of the potential efficiency that it is possible to gain with this fuel. Use of gasoline in an engine with a high enough compression ratio to use E85 efficiently would likely result in catastrophic failure due to engine detonation, as the octane rating of gasoline is not high enough to withstand the greater compression ratios in use in an engine specifically designed to run on E85. (However, FFV are designed to run on any mixture of gasoline and ethanol, from pure gasoline to E85, and avoid this problem.) Using E85 in a gasoline engine has the drawback of achieving lower fuel economy, as more fuel is needed per unit air (stoichiometric ratio) to run the engine in comparison with gasoline. The additional ethanol required for a stoichiometric fuel ratio helps compensate for lack of energy provided by ethanol's lower heating value (LHV), which is lower than the LHV of gasoline.