E85 Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonSVT

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had ran E85 with the stock fuel setup just retuned? I am currently upgrading my 03 Cobra to bigger pumps/injectors to run E85 with my KB @ 21.5psi.

The benefits of E85 are that you can put more timing in and boost if you are supercharged and it runs cooler. Like now I am at 19.5 lbs of boost and with E85 I can run 22-24 if I want.

Check this thread out Ethanol Myths and Facts - SVTPerformance

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had ran E85 with the stock fuel setup just retuned? I am currently upgrading my 03 Cobra to bigger pumps/injectors to run E85 with my KB @ 21.5psi.

The benefits of E85 are that you can put more timing in and boost if you are supercharged and it runs cooler. Like now I am at 19.5 lbs of boost and with E85 I can run 22-24 if I want.

Check this thread out Ethanol Myths and Facts - SVTPerformance

I have safely ran e-30 for 15,000 miles in my raptor so far. We have the 6.2 and the f-250 have the same and can run e-85 but I'd still check into it be careful. I don't know enough about higher blends other than e-30.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going to look into e85 when I do the whipple, The biggest thing will be making sure I have enough injector and pump capacity to handle the increased fuel demand.

Not worried about the actual e85 as almost all vehicles now have parts that will not corrode with ethanol. It mostly has to do with the fuel system not being able to provide enough fuel. e85 puts a much greater strain on the fuel system as the engine will require more fuel with e85 over e10

I am getting my whipple setup with larger injectors from the start so not worried about that, but do need to research which pump our trucks come with from the factory and see if that needs to be replaced with a larger one.

Rakimb17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stainless steel fuel lines, remove all rubber and plastics.
Upgrade fuel pump to something that flows better and is rated for ethanol.
Get a higher flow rate fuel injecter. I haven't seen any e85 6.2s, but you probably need something that can flow around 20% more fuel. And of course tune, maybe even get a wideband AFR setup. Even if e85 is "only" 95 octane, its still a hell of a lot cheaper than premium!
There are plenty of other platforms to copy boosted e85 setups from. Buick Grand Nationals, WRXs, Evos 335is. e85 is the ish.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stainless steel fuel lines, remove all rubber and plastics.
Upgrade fuel pump to something that flows better and is rated for ethanol.
Get a higher flow rate fuel injecter. I haven't seen any e85 6.2s, but you probably need something that can flow around 20% more fuel. And of course tune, maybe even get a wideband AFR setup. Even if e85 is "only" 95 octane, its still a hell of a lot cheaper than premium!
There are plenty of other platforms to copy boosted e85 setups from. Buick Grand Nationals, WRXs, Evos 335is. e85 is the ish.

The super duty with 6.2l is E85 capable from ford. So unless they installed a different pump the stock one should be fine until you add in a power adder. And the stock 02's on the Raptor are already widebands.

Rockafella

Reaction score
Even if e85 is "only" 95 octane, its still a hell of a lot cheaper than premium!

The statemeent in bold above is the absolute truth. e85 is the ish.

However, the previous statement from the above quote about e85 being cheaper simply isn't one being honest w/ one's self. Sure it's cheaper per gallon, but when it takes more gallons to get from point A to point B then what have you really gained??

Go to e85 because it will allow for more boost, more timing and will make more power (even on an N/A platform). But know that (w/o going into the science of it all); you're making more power because you're burning more fuel. About 20-30% more fuel than regular 93 octane in most cases. If it's readily available in your area then make the switch, make sure you have a knowledgable tuner and the fuel system upgrades to account for the switch (mostly, you'll need larger injectors - remember MORE fuel), and smile as you leave your 93 octane counterparts in the dust.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually E85 is cheaper when you compare it to running 98, 103, etc octane race fuel.. ;)

I will take e85 any day over 93 to make more power with a boosted or high compression application. fact is if the std premium fuel was 95 octane I would be filling up with that even if it cost more over 93. So once i can safely run e85 I am going to do that for my use around Miami but will have a tune for 93 octane that I can use when I am traveling with the truck, until e85 is at majority of stations around the US you really need to set it up as a flex fuel vehicle to be able to travel with it.

Rockafella

Reaction score
Actually E85 is cheaper when you compare it to running 98, 103, etc octane race fuel.. ;)

The quote above specifically said it was cheaper than premium. Not really the case when some people have seen fuel mileage decreases from 16 to 12 mpg... The fact of the matter is it's cheaper per gallon and of course cheaper to fill up on, but may or may not be cheaper to get from point A to point B.

Again, I agree that e85 is the *******; just wanted to point out the common misconception w/ everyone claiming it's so much "cheaper" than premium. I'm well aware of the many benefits e85 has as far as performance goes and I too would run it in everything if it were only more common in my area.