Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

E&G Console Gun Vault

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Interior Forum [GEN 2]' started by hamster, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Johnkn

Johnkn Full Access Member

After installing my gun vault, I picked up a different console tray. It's OEM quality, about $20 delivered from Amazon, a little deeper and does away with the original coin slots on the side. Much more usable room overall. I cut a small opening in the right corner and keep a solo cup under it. Every time I get change from a drive in window I drop the coins through the opening and they fall directly into the cup beneath, then I empty as it gets full. Not shown, I touched up and smoothed the coin slot opening with a file after initially using a dremmel tool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Full Access Member

I will be buying one of these when I get my Raptor in a couple/few months. I wish there was an option for an actuator activated electric lock that could be wired to unlock the safe whenever the truck is running or with a hidden button (like a floor dimmer switch used in cop cars). In the heat of the moment I wouldn’t want to be trying to input a code on the dials.

3. Johnkn

Johnkn Full Access Member

Why would anyone be storing a firearm there locked when it's needed? The very few times I've used my vehicle safes is when visiting a Post Office, entering a .gov/.mil facility, etc. (with common parking lot), Otherwise the firearm is on me or accessible in the unlocked safe.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Hector Leal likes this.
  4. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Full Access Member

I’d just assume not have to specifically lock and unlock the safe every time I get out or in the truck. I keep a full size duty pistol secured in my vehicle and a separate smaller CCW pistol on my person. If I’m going somewhere that I can’t carry a pistol on my person there would be two in the safe.

5. Pittbug

Pittbug Member

Just placed my order with Apollo Optics :D

[email protected] likes this.
  6. Nick@Apollo-Optics

[email protected] Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thank you for your support! Glad we could help get you setup!

7. Oldfart

Oldfart FRF Addict

I found I hated the OEM tray once I had the safe in, because it was a pain to try to pick it up to get to anything underneath. There is no way to grab it. I ended up just leaving it out, which doesn't work out so well either. I did a $2.68 mod today that makes it nice and easy to use again. Just a perfect sized cabinet door pull from Lowe's, take a minute to file the anti-spin prongs off the bottom, get a short screw and washer, drill a hole, and you're done. It even comes in black! Counting the screw and washer I was crowding $3.00, but I figure I can afford it because I am a baller. It actually works well now, easy to do it one handed, which is what I was shooting for. Since I got it at Lowe's, and it was my idea, I won't mention [email protected]

upload_2020-6-30_16-38-9.png

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  8. Nick@Apollo-Optics

[email protected] Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Smart idea, Bob. I like it!

9. Rollofire

Rollofire Full Access Member

I have a LOCK'ER DOWN safe and I really like it. Got it with the Electronic lock and its very nice. Lots of room and quick entry!

10. Oldfart

Oldfart FRF Addict

We just got done with our first really hot weather of the year, and I found that when the cab was heated up, the OEM tray was hanging up on the rearward part of the E&G safe opening. I'm assuming the clearances get too tight when the safe expands from the heat. I even tried sanding the tray down a little to clearance it, but it didn't help. I ended up getting the same tray that @Johnkn got, and it works great. $13 on Amazon and it must have a little more clearance because it fits perfect. I just switched my handle over to it and it's really nice. Maybe [email protected] can ask them to loosen up their clearances a little in the rear of the opening in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GPTKR1/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

20200708_171027.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020