Drop hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need to buy a drop hitch for my truck, what drop is eveyone using? Would a 3 1/4 in drop work for a 5x8 trailer?

Sent from my dumb apple products my work makes me use.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say on this. Many variables to consider: wheel/tire combo, type of coupler and attach method, how much squat you will see with the trailer loaded, stuff like that.

HAP

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hard to say on this. Many variables to consider: wheel/tire combo, type of coupler and attach method, how much squat you will see with the trailer loaded, stuff like that.

HAP

20' wheels, 35' tires. regular 1 7/8 coupler pulling a ZT mower

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20' wheels, 35' tires. regular 1 7/8 coupler pulling a ZT mower

Now, consider the same information on the trailer. That was mainly what I was referring to.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ended trying several at the trailer shop to get the distance to the ground for my trailer.

ditchpanther

Reaction score
4" drop and 6" drop have been the most common usage for me. I had a stock 2009 suburban and it required an 8" drop! The suburban receiver hitch is mounted on top of the frame and comes out of the middle of the bumper. Sounds like you have it figured out tho.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rule of thumb for any hitch is the ball should be 18" from the ground, or as close as you can. I have a 12" drop on mine to make up the difference for the height of my hitch that I raised 3" when I built my bumper.
Mil T