Dreaded 4x4 popping and disengaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your front vacuum lines are probably cracked or broken causing the IWE's to only go in partially then popping back out.
Here's a thread that I wrote regarding the problem. As someone else said, there are several threads that talk about his. One of the most common f150 4x4 problems that exist. Cheap plastic vacuum lines that make the 4x4 work on these trucks.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f170/weak-vacuum-line-grinding-noise-fix-24281/

Hope this helps.

Mil T

Luke13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate it guys, I guess assuming a brand new truck why would the vacuum lines already be the cause? And second the ford tech would have started his diagnosis there correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raptor_Kx250

Reaction score
If it's only grinding in 4 wheel drive it not due to cracked vacuum lines or loss of vacuum, the truck uses vacuum to disengage the hubs to be in 2 wheel drive.

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Really appreciate it guys, I guess assuming a brand new truck why would the vacuum lines already be the cause? And second the ford tech would have started his diagnosis there correct? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speaking from experience, Ford techs do not always listen, understand or care to find out what's wrong. I had them get snarky with me because they wanted to rip into the torsen (after they asked me if I had it installed because they're manual didn't show it in the front end). :/ I needed the truck for Snoball so told them they couldn't rip it apart plus, to me, the issue didn't seem to be with that part of the front end.

My local ford store had the truck for a month straight and sporadically the month before and failed to diagnose the issue. It took the regional tech coming on site to get it diagnosed right and fixed. As I posted earlier, no issue with my torsen so had they ripped it apart odds are they would have done more damage than good. They basically were just guessing the whole time, ordering parts that weren't needed, holding my truck during much of the season that I own it for.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You really think they the iwes blew my first time out? And as for the thread on this I read it nothing on tire size
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup! It can go in a heart beat.
Doubt the tires have anything to do with it.

Sounds like my exact issue and mine was in for a month too... Ford tech from Chicago came up and had the dealership replace IWEs, wheel bearings and CV joints - both sides. My truck has been working fine now.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Just to add, I had 2 sets of IWEs installed within 300 miles. IWEs alone didn't fix the problem.
This is the best way to fix it with the most success for longevity.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Luke13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does ford issue a service order or work order number I can give the local service manager to look up and read?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
My dealer didn't have anything to read up on this. They did post up a question on Ford's internal forum but received no useable feedback. Just more guesses that were all wrong.