4X4 system -> Transfer case and diff workout?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monte87

Reaction score
Hey Guys-

Im new to the 4X4 game, Gen 3 Raptor here w 26k miles. How often should i give the 4x4 system in this truck a workout? I usually drive around in 2H, but want to give the system a workout. I want to make sure the system has enough useage. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Anthony

Xiaofeng Mu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not an expert but you may use 4A during rainy or snowy days, or you can just use 4A & sport to have some fun at traffic lights :).

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
Not an expert but you may use 4A during rainy or snowy days, or you can just use 4A & sport to have some fun at traffic lights :).
Thanks for reply! Oh ok, cool deal. I def want to excercise the system for sure. When you don't use the system i would think it does more harm than good.
Anthony

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found out the hard way that you should put the transfer case into 4Lo 3-4 times a year to keep it working smoothly, they say use it or lose it. The first 3 or 4 years that I owned the RaptoR I thought using 4Hi was good enough, that is until I tried to put it in 4Lo, the grinding,engine reving and banging noises convinsed me otherwise.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I found out the hard way that you should put the transfer case into 4Lo 3-4 times a year to keep it working smoothly, they say use it or lose it. The first 3 or 4 years that I owned the RaptoR I thought using 4Hi was good enough, that is until I tried to put it in 4Lo, the grinding,engine reving and banging noises convinsed me otherwise.
WAIT WHAT?

You sure it wan’t that 2H rear diff lock capability somehow causing all that noise ?