Diff's & Transfer case & Trans Maintenance? timeframes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monte87

Reaction score
Hi Guys-
Just got a 2022 Raptor w 26k miles on it and was wondering when should the 2 Differentials scheduled maintenance oil changes be? As well as Transfer case & Trans? regarding mileage and fluids.

Thanks Anthony

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it’s listed in the owners manual. Everyone will have a different answer on this. My vote it to do it all every 30k-40k especially if you plan on doing the work yourself. You save a ton of money doing it yourself. If you are paying a shop or a dealer, that’s going to depend on your budget. Fresh fluids always seem like a no brainer to me.

I do my oil no later than 5k each time.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the first fluid changes yourself you can assess the oil. In my 4runner I did the transfer case and it came out looking almost new at 50K miles. I could then adjust the mileage accordingly or follow the lengthy change interval in the manual. From everything I've seen the rear diff tends to be the hardest on the oil by far. Your trans should be fine at your mileage. If you're worried about it, do the rear diff at 30K and see how it looks. If the oil looks pretty rough, consider doing the others. I've been a 30K interval guy for a while with regards to TC, F&R diffs, however the state of the oil at 30K has varied pretty wildly depending on the vehicle. Some could argue that the first interval is the most important to do earlier rather than later.

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
it’s listed in the owners manual. Everyone will have a different answer on this. My vote it to do it all every 30k-40k especially if you plan on doing the work yourself. You save a ton of money doing it yourself. If you are paying a shop or a dealer, that’s going to depend on your budget. Fresh fluids always seem like a no brainer to me.

I do my oil no later than 5k eac

If you do the first fluid changes yourself you can assess the oil. In my 4runner I did the transfer case and it came out looking almost new at 50K miles. I could then adjust the mileage accordingly or follow the lengthy change interval in the manual. From everything I've seen the rear diff tends to be the hardest on the oil by far. Your trans should be fine at your mileage. If you're worried about it, do the rear diff at 30K and see how it looks. If the oil looks pretty rough, consider doing the others. I've been a 30K interval guy for a while with regards to TC, F&R diffs, however the state of the oil at 30K has varied pretty wildly depending on the vehicle. Some could argue that the first interval is the most important to do earlier rather than later.
Thank you Shigman!!! Appreciate your reply! Is the transfer case easy to do??
Anthony

R Level

Reaction score
Tramsfer case has a fill and a drain plug. Drain and fill with the recommended ATF of your unit. Done!