Dreaded 4x4 popping and disengaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kiddin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine goes in tomorrow for replacements on both sides.....it took the mechanics weeks to figure this out until I found it here and showed them the link.....embarrassing.

Lots of knowledge here, thank you all!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't know that either. They will cost you about $90 per side. Shop rate is probably around a $100/hour. I'd estimate it would take around 3 hours to do for the shop guys.

That's just an educated guess though.......

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Having it done. I've searched but haven't come up with a clear answer from someone who had the service out of warranty. Thanks ahead of time.

It's really not that bad if you choose to do it yourself.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the trucks that have had these replaced, could anyone provide a parts list? Maybe its on your Ford Service receipt?

I took my truck in to my local dealer for this issue (twice) under warranty and they said there were no issues. Showed the Service Write the grinding and he said it was normal (lmao what a joke). They have since gotten worse and I want these replaced, but my truck is now out of warranty and I have a feeling I won't get them covered.

worduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had both IWEs replaced today, as well as the front left shaft. Heard some clicking at the beach, stopped in deep sand, turned off then on, hit the gas and bombs went off. Everything fried. Fortunately, 4Low worked and enjoyed my week at the beach. Also had front rotors replaced as they were warped and a new dust seal. All in 1772.77. Ouch. 66k miles and out of warranty. I'm not mechanically inclined so to the dealer it went. the service rep knew exactly what it was, ordered the parts, and fixed it within 24 hours.

I will be waiting still for ten seconds before i hit the beach/mud/snow now... Not very Raptor like, but i cant have this happen again.

Part numbers for the IWE and drive shaft:

Shaft-Front FP# AL3Z-3A427-C
Actuator Assembly FP# 7L1Z-3C247-B