Dreaded 4x4 popping and disengaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
4x4 Hi Noise, possible Hub issue?

This last weekend I took the 2012 Raptor out to Glamis Sand Dunes and had no issues driving it all the way up to Oldsmobile Hill and back. When it was time for the evenings Drags, we (another Raptor and I) headed over. We drove on normal pavement all the way from one end to the other through the check in and then it was onto sand.

- this is where the issue started.

I wouldn't say the sand was too terrible or too deep but to be on the safe side, I went and put the truck in 4x4 Hi. Almost immediately after doing that it started with a "clunk" or "popping" noise from the front end. I don't know exactly what it is. I first thought the front differential but it does lock in. You can start to cruise for a few feet with no issues and then it starts popping again.

I was told, possible that it could just be the front hubs are not completely locking in and that is causing the issue. I did notice one time that when it popped, the TRACTION CONTROL light came on and back off, leads me to believe it "slips".

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

The best part of it though, was getting stuck and being pulled out by BJ Baldwin himself in the Trophy Truck Diesel. The truck is just a little less then 2 years old and just under 18K miles so it should be covered under warranty though is my though!

Last edited:

Luke13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2013 Raptor super crew and I bought the truck brand-new it currently has about 12,000 miles on it recently I've been making a lot of trips out to the desert mostly glamis pismo and Lucerne Valley California anyway make a long story short the truck started making popping noises while in four-wheel-drive and actually coming out of four-wheel-drive.

drop the truck off at the dealership it's out there for over a month until they finally got around to changing the front IWE hubs and solenoid.

After finally getting the truck back to the dealership I decided to take another trip out to the sand dunes and the same problem happened again the truck would disengage out of four-wheel-drive make a loud popping noise and I would literally have to put the truck in park and put into will drive put it back in the folder just to get out of the hole and got buried in

So it gets really good I take the truck back to the dealership and finally the Ford dealer comes back after week having the truck with their latest news they're telling me that the rear tires are more than half of an inch worn more than the front tires therefore causing the four-wheel-drive system to malfunction and disengage

what the fu#k

Is ford really expect me to put 2 new tires out back every couple trips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chavante

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear... I have heard Torsen is an issue. If any 2012-2013 guys and 2010-2011 guys can chime in, be appreciated... thx

bakkbakk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
find the big thread on this, print it, take it to the dealer and tell them to start reading

Luke13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really think they the iwes blew my first time out? And as for the thread on this I read it nothing on tire size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Sounds like my exact issue and mine was in for a month too... Ford tech from Chicago came up and had the dealership replace IWEs, wheel bearings and CV joints - both sides. My truck has been working fine now.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Just to add, I had 2 sets of IWEs installed within 300 miles. IWEs alone didn't fix the problem.