Dreaded 4x4 popping and disengaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a TSB out on this condition, so the dealerships can troubleshoot the issue better and focus in on the actuators first before all the other part swapping I'm reading stories about?
Is this IWE the same for all the other f150s? I haven't crawled under a plain one to look.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just got a call from ford. they said my 4wd issue is because i have mismatched tires in the front causing the 4wd not to engage properly. these tires were put on at the same time and if there is slightly uneven tire wear from driving that causes my 4wd to not work, then this is the worst 4wd system in the world. i called ******** on them. i have had 4wd problems since i purchased the truck and have service records regarding it. i told them to find the problem because my tires are notthe issue. we need some techs to go back to school. this is horrible

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont go to phil long chapel hills to get service done. we pretty much cut ties today. i need a dealer to fix this issue. so far im either driving to sacremento or dallas. anyone know of a good dealer closer?

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a TSB out on this condition, so the dealerships can troubleshoot the issue better and focus in on the actuators first before all the other part swapping I'm reading stories about?
Is this IWE the same for all the other f150s? I haven't crawled under a plain one to look.

???

recasares

Reaction score
I have been stumped on issues with my 4x4 system. When engaged there is a loud pop from the driver side front while driving. Only some times i get the "check 4x4" wrench light. I seem to get the pop more when it is turning. I replaced the iwe actuator as well as the cv shaft. I KNOW the tie rod is bad because it has a fair amount of play in it. But would that be causing the issue? Vaccumm is working fine in the system. I would really appreciate any help.

D

Deleted member 12951

I have been stumped on issues with my 4x4 system. When engaged there is a loud pop from the driver side front while driving. Only some times i get the "check 4x4" wrench light. I seem to get the pop more when it is turning. I replaced the iwe actuator as well as the cv shaft. I KNOW the tie rod is bad because it has a fair amount of play in it. But would that be causing the issue? Vaccumm is working fine in the system. I would really appreciate any help.

If the tie rod ends up being fine then most likely start looking at the steering rack. Those usually go.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2011 Screw with same issues - 55k miles --- Taking to dealer next week to get handled.
What was your issue? The vacuum selonoid?
dont go to phil long chapel hills to get service done. we pretty much cut ties today. i need a dealer to fix this issue. so far im either driving to sacremento or dallas. anyone know of a good dealer closer?

Have you tried contacting Chrystal @FordService ?

Your IWE sounds like it is cracked. The system worked under normal circumstances, but when there is load on the system it pops and skips a few teeth. You may also have a bad vacuum selonoid.

No tsb. The system is designed this way. The 2012 -14 Raptors wroth the font Torsen differential seem to tear them up faster.

Yes, this system is the same on all F-150's.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

Last edited: