Dreaded 4x4 popping and disengaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recasares

Reaction score
I only did the driver side because the noise is directly right there by the tire, axle shaft. If it was the transfer case wouldn't the noise be farther back? Or atleast effecting both driver and passenger sides?

CASSMAN

Reaction score
Same Experience

My Raptor is a 2012 and I had the same problem with the four wheel drive. About 6 months after I bought the truck new, I pulled another truck out of the mud.....and that's when all of my problems began. New parts and several dealerships later I finally decided to look into myself. I bought new actuators and jumped in. Much to my surprise I didn't find a smoking gun. The existing actuators did look contaminated but the teeth looked great on both the actuator and axle. It wasn't until I placed the existing actuator next to the new ones on my shop bench that I realized the slight difference. The existing actuator gear had a slight angle to it and the new ones didn't. I was 99% sure that my problem was still going to be there during the test drive, but I was wrong. That was about 6 weeks ago and I have used the four wheel drive several times since. I can finally say I drive a Raptor and not ford lightning. I hope my experience helps you out.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor is a 2012 and I had the same problem with the four wheel drive. About 6 months after I bought the truck new, I pulled another truck out of the mud.....and that's when all of my problems began. New parts and several dealerships later I finally decided to look into myself. I bought new actuators and jumped in. Much to my surprise I didn't find a smoking gun. The existing actuators did look contaminated but the teeth looked great on both the actuator and axle. It wasn't until I placed the existing actuator next to the new ones on my shop bench that I realized the slight difference. The existing actuator gear had a slight angle to it and the new ones didn't. I was 99% sure that my problem was still going to be there during the test drive, but I was wrong. That was about 6 weeks ago and I have used the four wheel drive several times since. I can finally say I drive a Raptor and not ford lightning. I hope my experience helps you out.
Do you have a pic of the two actuators side by side on the bench?

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

Rockitman4x4

Reaction score
One thing that I can say is, I had always put my truck into 4x4 on the fly, it would pop and bang. Lately I have tried it while stopped then shifted into reverse then back into drive before moving. I have wheeled it very hard on dry dirt, sand and now deep snow with no popping even in tight turns. I'm thinking the IWE were never fully engaged. Just a guess.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing that I can say is, I had always put my truck into 4x4 on the fly, it would pop and bang. Lately I have tried it while stopped then shifted into reverse then back into drive before moving. I have wheeled it very hard on dry dirt, sand and now deep snow with no popping even in tight turns. I'm thinking the IWE were never fully engaged. Just a guess.
Exactly.
And of your IWEs have never been replaced after they were popping, then they are still bad. You should have them replaced.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

str8fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many 10/11 owners are on top perch and have had iwe issues? When I was on top perch I had no issues. Go down to mid perch and have replaced my drivers side 3 times now including one cv shaft. This last one that let go literally was engaged one time in the snow in neutral then put in 4low. Last all of about 10' of a snow packed rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford Dealer just called - They're keeping it overnight - Replacing both front hubs and IWEs. Teeth on the left side are rounded over

Replacing Power Steering Pump and I'm going to pay the extra for a new reserviour and have them manually flush the lines down to the Rack (precautionary).

I took the tech for a ride this morning and pretended we were at the Snoball! I got that damn truck to start popping away and he knew immediately it was to be fixed!

Thanx to Shawn Deans for the help and information.