Does Anyone actually buy a Raptor at MSRP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

villaraptor

Reaction score
Doesnt sound worth it to me but hey what the heck. Hopefully you got all the transfer issues figured out with the CA DMV as well.

A $200 plane ticket, $300 in fuel, $150 hotel to get the exact spec I wanted and save $5,000 (+8% sales tax) is a sound return for me.

How much over did you pay?

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure about the tax? In Ga if we buy out of state you have to prove you paid the right amount in the state you bought it from

Ie: my Ga rate is 7%. If I buy in a state with no tax, I owe Us 7% before I can get my tags. If I pay 5%, I owe Ga 2%.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A $200 plane ticket, $300 in fuel, $150 hotel to get the exact spec I wanted and save $5,000 (+8% sales tax) is a sound return for me.

How much over did you pay?

Haha you have to pay sales tax when you bring it back to CA and register it. Otherwise everyone would buy outta state lol. You also have to jump through hoops to get it registered so enjoy that. Smog, certificate of origin, sales contract, etc.....

I got 2018 at sticker here in So Cal. in La Mesa @ Penske

I like your expense break down but you are omitting several key factors which up the cost as well; your time which does have a cost and the mileage on the truck which has a cost too.

Either way as long as you are happy, enjoy it!

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haha you have to pay sales tax when you bring it back to CA and register it. Otherwise everyone would buy outta state lol. You also have to jump through hoops to get it registered so enjoy that. Smog, certificate of origin, sales contract, etc.....

I got 2018 at sticker here in So Cal. in La Mesa @ Penske

I like your expense break down but you are omitting several key factors which up the cost as well; your time which does have a cost and the mileage on the truck which has a cost too.

Either way as long as you are happy, enjoy it!

Not sure what you do for a living, but $5k for two days of easy, tax free "work" is pretty good for most people. Plus it is nice to get the engine break-in taken care of in the first 24 hours.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you do for a living, but $5k for two days of easy, tax free "work" is pretty good for most people. Plus it is nice to get the engine break-in taken care of in the first 24 hours.

I wouldn't pay over sticker and I wouldn't travel out of state to buy a new vehicle too much drama bringing it back to CA.

I just bugged tons of dealers until I got what I wanted at MSRP and no other issues. "Plus he is going to have to pay full CA sales tax"

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think he's saying 8% on the $5000 that he is saving. Or $400... which ain't nothin'

There is the saved sales tax as you mentioned, but I was actually talking about income tax.

So far the government hasn't figured out a way to tax us on the money we save by hunting for a good deal. Depending on tax bracket, it could take $10k of income to pay a $5k ADM.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ya but I wouldn't ever pay an ADM so mute point for me.

I couldn't imagine paying an ADM plus sales tax on that added mark up. Geeze crazy stuff. I just talked to someone who got a raptor recently from Galpin out here and paid $13k ADM. Some people got more money that sense.

sbdave

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay over sticker and I wouldn't travel out of state to buy a new vehicle too much drama bringing it back to CA.

I just bugged tons of dealers until I got what I wanted at MSRP and no other issues. "Plus he is going to have to pay full CA sales tax"

Just because you wouldn't go out of state doesn't invalidate the option. I'm planning on buying in the next 6-8 months... and I'm HOPING I can find a dealer in CA that will go MSRP or lower... but if I can't (and some have been unable to)... I have no problems going out of state.

Like you said, time is money... you need to factor your time of bugging tons of dealers until you got what you wanted. That's not nothing either.

To each their own... you did what worked for you... he did what worked for him. I'm hoping to go your route... but I'm open to taking his.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Well ya but I wouldn't ever pay an ADM so mute point for me.

I couldn't imagine paying an ADM plus sales tax on that added mark up. Geeze crazy stuff. I just talked to someone who got a raptor recently from Galpin out here and paid $13k ADM. Some people got more money that sense.

Ugh... it's people like that that contribute to CA dealers keeping their ADMs. As long as people continue to pay that... most will continue to charge an ADM.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup their are suckers born everyday!

Just keep calling and bugging people you have plenty of time but if one comes up you have to be able to jump on it that moment.

I literally got the call I could get my truck and I right then and their gave them $5k over the phone and drove there (2 hours south) next day. If I didn't do that they would sell to anyone that walked through the door.

So if you're serious best be ready with cash in hand.