DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ordered the morels , 386$ crutch field, 6.5 and 1.1 tweeters .i will see how it sound and go from there

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you can upgrade just the sub with B&O. Use the sub signal coming out of the B&O amp to supply signal to your sub amp. To combat any eq roll off, utilize an amp from AudioControl that has Accubass built in. These amps are designed to eliminate this roll off. There is absolutely no reason to use the ZEN if you only want to install an amp and sub upgrade. DO NOT try to run an aftermarket amp and run your existing sub simultaneously. DO NOT utilize the stock B&O enclosure.

Sorry man. Going to have to disagree.

High level inputs are garbage. and accubass is shit. making up signal where signal does not exist.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry man. Going to have to disagree.

High level inputs are garbage. and accubass is shit. making up signal where signal does not exist.

Go pick up an oscilloscope and RTA and tell me the signal quality difference between high and low. I can let you borrow mine. Low level has a noise differential. As in, the more you amplify/boost, the more susceptible you are to noise. That’s it. With higher frequencies, this can be problematic. Especially if your gain is not set properly and you have inadequate power and ground. But we are talking about bass frequencies. We are talking about a bass upgrade < $500.00. That’s the name of the thread. You get what you pay for. You wanna talk > $5,000.00 well then we can start talking about the benefit of a lower noise floor.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My issue with it is this.....

1st, the high level inputs, tend to drive the input "hot", which then has to get stepped down to avoid clipping the input. Anytime you are dropping the voltage down, you are messing with the sine wave, altering it from what is recorded. 2nd they then add to what has already been messed with once, the accubass monstrosity. What the listener ends up hearing is a very narrow band of bass frequency's that do not match what was recorded.

We looked at it on a scope, admittedly back in the early days of this stuff. The bass signals were artificial. The average listener doesn't care because to them a 40hz tone "hits hard". but it should have been a 37hz tone that rolled up to 45hz as the amplitude came down.

Yeah, i might be getting all "audiophile" here. but it makes a difference, and the more money you spend on better equipment, the more you can notice it.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you can upgrade just the sub with B&O. Use the sub signal coming out of the B&O amp to supply signal to your sub amp. To combat any eq roll off, utilize an amp from AudioControl that has Accubass built in. These amps are designed to eliminate this roll off. There is absolutely no reason to use the ZEN if you only want to install an amp and sub upgrade. DO NOT try to run an aftermarket amp and run your existing sub simultaneously. DO NOT utilize the stock B&O enclosure.

So I got around to thinking about doing some of the stereo upgrade work. Looking at the Sub upgrade alone to start but keeping my eyes open for future upgrades.

I looked over the Audio Control LC 1.800 to power the sub. What’s the science behind the Accubass?

I was also looking at the JL Audio RD500/1 as well. I can also run high level inputs in. Of course there is no bass management to assist with roll off.

I also am looking at the JL Audio RD900/5 as a full system amp. The Audio Control LC-6.1200 as a full system amp. But I think this amp would be borderline too much.

I’d like to do an all in one and eventually run the whole truck off of it. But could do a separate sub amp and 4 channel if need be. Just looking to keep the size of the installation down and simplified.

Now I would throw a Zen interface in the mix once I send the amp to the doors and pillar speakers. But initially I’m just going to work with the sub and do high level inputs from the B&O into the amp.

So is the JL an option without the Zen or you strongly think the Audio Control is the only way to do this?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got around to thinking about doing some of the stereo upgrade work. Looking at the Sub upgrade alone to start but keeping my eyes open for future upgrades.

I looked over the Audio Control LC 1.800 to power the sub. What’s the science behind the Accubass?

I was also looking at the JL Audio RD500/1 as well. I can also run high level inputs in. Of course there is no bass management to assist with roll off.

I also am looking at the JL Audio RD900/5 as a full system amp. The Audio Control LC-6.1200 as a full system amp. But I think this amp would be borderline too much.

I’d like to do an all in one and eventually run the whole truck off of it. But could do a separate sub amp and 4 channel if need be. Just looking to keep the size of the installation down and simplified.

Now I would throw a Zen interface in the mix once I send the amp to the doors and pillar speakers. But initially I’m just going to work with the sub and do high level inputs from the B&O into the amp.

So is the JL an option without the Zen or you strongly think the Audio Control is the only way to do this?

You can definitely use the JL. I only recommend the accubass for bass management. It’s not great but it better than nothing.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see there has been some updates to the thread. I can relate to what’s being said about the high and low level inputs. I’d like to just get the sub upgrade going and yes going cheap with high levels until I upgrade the fronts and utilize the Zen interface and convert the sub inputs to low level.

I’m just thinking I can utilize the JL Amp even if there is some roll off until I get the whole upgrade done and maybe using the audio control amp would only be some type of band aid until the whole system is complete anyhow.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see there has been some updates to the thread. I can relate to what’s being said about the high and low level inputs. I’d like to just get the sub upgrade going and yes going cheap with high levels until I upgrade the fronts and utilize the Zen interface and convert the sub inputs to low level.

I’m just thinking I can utilize the JL Amp even if there is some roll off until I get the whole upgrade done and maybe using the audio control amp would only be some type of band aid until the whole system is complete anyhow.

Use the JL and highlevel for now. Perfectly fine. When you install the zen, you will taking all the b&o components out anyways.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We touched on the ForScan mod and setting it for the aftermarket sub which I have done. If this setting doesn’t allow for roll off, then I am more ahead of the game. But again nobody has anything with hard documented evidence it does.

Ok now back to the sub itself. I think I can donate the under seat space of the single rear seat behind the front passenger. This leaves me the floor space under the larger flip up seat. Does somebody produce an enclosure to house a single 10” sub?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We touched on the ForScan mod and setting it for the aftermarket sub which I have done. If this setting doesn’t allow for roll off, then I am more ahead of the game. But again nobody has anything with hard documented evidence it does.

Ok now back to the sub itself. I think I can donate the under seat space of the single rear seat behind the front passenger. This leaves me the floor space under the larger flip up seat. Does somebody produce an enclosure to house a single 10” sub?

I’d strongly recommend putting that setting back to factory and not messing with any of the forscan acm settings.