DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 2]' started by Guy, Mar 5, 2017.

1. pjones

pjones Full Access Member

Just put a multimeter across the voice coil of the old speakers?

2. Guy

Guy FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Good thinking

4 ohms for the door speakers. 25 watts. Center is 8 ohm. Tweeters 4 ohm.

3. Guy

Hello everyone,

So the project is finished. I would describe the stock 802a system as muddy, flat, and lacking in clarity. If you're reading this thread you all have one so you know what I'm talking about.

After the upgrade the stereo is bright, lively, full ranged, and the voicing and clarity is superb. It's better than I could have expected

I made a saved materials list on Crutchfield but I purchased everything on amazon.

The only thing that is a duplicate is the one metra mounting plate. I used the rear f150 one and did fit the 6.75 inch Sony speaker with no problems.
    I hope the link works for everyone.

I found 3 YouTube videos with decent how-to on how to get into the doors and center dash. The a-pillars I had to do on my own and used a fabricated metal bracket with that strap from Crutchfield.

Questions?

http://www.crutchfield.com/WID-381534968/cart/default.aspx

Toadster likes this.
  4. daaaaaan

daaaaaan Full Access Member

The link does not work. Try taking a screenshot?

5. Guy

Sorry about the dead link. Crutchfield will only open it from my email I guess.

Been super busy with work, but when I get free I'll type it all out for you guys.

I used all Pioneer. You could also do a similar configuration with all Kicker if you're a Kicker guy/gal. Or you could do the Kicker or pioneer sub with any other speaker set for the doors and dash...

I chose the pioneer based on the scope of my project and the power of the stock amp. For the wattage applied, at that price point, they are about the loudest speakers among common mainstream brands... and they are able to make the volume crystal clear and distortion free. Other brands will also work well, but you're going to likely lose volume over the factory setup....

I did a side by side comparison between this and my xc90... which has a Bowers and Wilkens, $2400.00 stereo upgrade in it.

I polled about 5 people (friends and family) Everyone said hands down the truck was clearer, cleaner, wth brighter high notes and deeper bass.

In other words... it now sounds like a premium radio.

6. evan9r

evan9r Member

Did you (or anyone) try just adding the sub and not adding an amp? If so how did it sound?

I cant even hear the stock sub so anything would be an improvement.

7. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

Evan,
    I checked this out early on and it just seemed that the 802A got more consistent positive results by adding the amp and it’s not a big addition of work / expense.

see http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f266/added-sub-52819/

I found a few who reported replacing only the sub, but the reported results were mixed. Adding the amp really wakes things up. Just the sub, is (Guy?) Under $200 for the sub, amp, wiring kit. So far, of all the internet reviews I found of replacing the stock sub / stock box, adding only a sub amp, not one reviewer has said ‘darn, this sucks, I’m tearing it back out’. All of them have been favorable.

Although 300w sounds like a lot for the given sound system - which is 25 x 7(?) rms, it’s not. I’m thinking 4-450w would be good for the existing sound system, no other changes. I’d have remote adjustable gain, but yeah. 300w rms for the sub is adequate. I’m not talking about bass that overpowers everything else in the track, or OG / wannabe gangsta rap for the purpose of pissing off people next to you in traffic, but there should be enough to feel the bass not just hear that it’s there and it exists.

8. DAF

DAF Member

Was your system the same one as mine? I have a 2013 with all the packages and have a sub enclosure that says sony 7000w or something like that on it. Is that the same thing you upgraded from?

Edit: just realized this was posted in gen2 but same question I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRAAAPTR likes this.
  9. CROOKS

CROOKS Full Access Member

I dont see your 3.5 inch 2 way in the dash speakers on this list.

10. Guy

Crutchfield doesn't carry it.

It is also a Pioneer A series found on Amazon. Not expensive... it helped a lot... the stock center is 8 ohm for some reason. Sony I guess wanted it not as loud as the rest... not sure why.... but at 4ohms with two way it really wakes up the front stage. I get ALOT of midrange voice and snare pop from it.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Pioneer 8 inch shallow mount sub TS-SW2002D2
    Pioneer 6x9 4 way speakers TS-A6986R
    Pioneer 6.5 4 way speakers. TS-A1686R
    Pioneer 3.5 inch 2 way speaker TS-A878
    Pioneer 3/4 inch dome tweeters TS-T110

Amp. Kenwood M3001 mono amp

Metra 825607 rear mounts
    Metra 825606 front mounts

Metra 725602 wire harness x2

JL audio speaker wire RCA plugs

Universal back strap from Crutchfield 120BKSTRAP

Post product 10 gauge wire tap

METRA wire crimp kit from Crutchfield

EFX 10 gauge wiring kit. PA10BX

25 feet 16 gauge speaker wire

TCP 11 piece trim panel popper kit. (Nylon tools, non-marring).

I followed 3 YouTube videos for an F150. A guy shows you how to get into the doors and dash. The A-Pillars were self-explanatory.

Thats it. I don't think I forgot anything. Hope it helps.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

I agree with Smurf...

Even with the amp... the bass is not in excess. I'm using a 200 watt RMS 4 ohm setup. He's using a 300 watt 2 ohm setup. The kicker bottoms out at 30hz. The pioneer bottoms out at 20hz. Probably not a lot of difference.... I'm guessing you trade a little volume for a little depth.

Guy

Jaws285 likes this.