DIY Maintenance Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What you need:
- 7qts of 5W-20 motor oil (I used Mobil 1 Synthetic)
- Oil Filter: Any of these will do... Mobil 1 - M1-210 ($8-$10), Motorcraft - FL-820S ($3-$6), or Ford Racing - CM-6731-FL820 ($16-$20) *Check out this side-by-side comparison of filters for when you're deciding on which filter to buy: http://hillerford.com/resource_library/2010/motorcraftcompare.pdf*
- Oil Pan capable of holding at least 7qts
- Paper towels! Lots of them
- 16mm/5/8" socket or wrench
- Oil Filter tool if this is your first oil change
176896_2697632356271_1383007546_o.jpg

1. Run the truck until it is warm for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Shut off the truck.
3. Crawl underneath with a 16mm or 5/8" wrench (thanks to pirate air for confirming!) and locate the oil drain plug. It's screwed into a tub like tank:
6698d1330176943-oil-drain-plug-right-uploadfromtaptalk1330176957403.jpg

4. Unscrew drain plug with your drain pan underneath, and let it drip out (took about 7 minutes IIRC)
5. Screw back the plug until it is snug and then give it another half turn **you can leave it off while you unscrew the oil filter in order to get more of the old oil out** (this technique was recommended to me by Ruger and DEADEYE). If you tighten it too much you may damage your oil tank. If you have a torque wrench... Tighten to 23NM or 17lb/ft (thanks to pirate air).
5. Locate the oil filter at the front of the truck. It is a white canister looking thing (if you still have the stock filter). Many think it's easier to remove the skid plate or the access panel on the skid plate (I highly recommend you do to contain the mess).
6. Unscrew the oil filter. Oil will start dripping out as soon as you unscrew it almost completely off. MAKE SURE YOUR DRIP PAN IS UNDERNEATH (I forgot that one :sad72:)
7. Make sure the rubber gasket comes off with the old filter.
8. Lube the new filter with the new or old oil (doesn't matter) and fill it up with the new oil about 1/2 way. I used the Ford Racing oil filter...PN: CM-6731-FL820
9. Screw it back on hand tight ONLY!
10. Locate the oil filler cap. Unscrew and add 6.5qts of 5w-20 oil (I used Mobil 1 synthetic). The owner's manual calls for 7 but just so you don't overfill it, stick with around 6.5 in case you didn't get all 7qts out.
11. Let the oil settle and check the dipstick for level. Add oil accordingly.
12. Make sure you cap/screw everything and start the engine and let it run for 5 minutes watching your oil pressure gauge. Add oil if necessary.
13. **ADDED** Also, check for leaks while the truck is running.
14. Hopefully all went well, don't forget to reset your oil minder! To do this go to the LCD screen on your instrument cluster and scroll to settings. Then find reset oil and hold "OK" to reset to 100%

Last edited:

bikeandski

Reaction score
I just changed the oil, oil filter and air filter on my 13 Raptor with 5k miles. Followed your directions, everything went very smoothly. I used the same Mobil 1 full synthetic you did, with OEM oil filter and Fram air filter.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just changed the oil, oil filter and air filter on my 13 Raptor with 5k miles. Followed your directions, everything went very smoothly. I used the same Mobil 1 full synthetic you did, with OEM oil filter and Fram air filter.

Thanks!

You are very welcome! Although I strongly advise against using Fram products in the future. And dang! 5000 mile air filter change!?

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious, when you reset the oil maintenance button, does it reset to 7500 miles per the manual?

bikeandski

Reaction score
You are very welcome! Although I strongly advise against using Fram products in the future. And dang! 5000 mile air filter change!?

Yeah, agreed! It was the only air filter in stock that would fit and I didn't want to go elsewhere. It could have gone another few thousand miles but I was actually surprised how dirty it actually was. I've had it off road several times.

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, agreed! It was the only air filter in stock that would fit and I didn't want to go elsewhere. It could have gone another few thousand miles but I was actually surprised how dirty it actually was. I've had it off road several times.

Gotcha. I understand. But get that Fram outta there asap. I doubt it is filtering much if any at all

Ragegame15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get a scheduled maintenance manual with their truck? I got a 13 about 2 weeks ago and it didn't have the service intervals and spots to initial jobs completed. The dealer said the truck tells you when it needs what kind of maint now. I may have been driving older vehicles my whole life, but are thy blowing smoke up my ass?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I believe mine did. It has all the info. Filter replacement, tire rotation, all the good stuff.