DIY Maintenance Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Coolant flush

What you need:
-3 gallons Motorcraft Orange Coolant VC-3-B or compatible
d573f97971fffc82c500228b95abcd29.jpg
-3 to 5 gallons distilled water (can be purchased from most chain grocery stores)
-Large drain pan or big aluminum pans you get for cookouts
-Shop towels
-Clean funnel
-Pliers (I used needle nosed pliers)
-Hand pump or vacuum pump
65a3ff85aa759c521c0954b1aff3e9d8.jpg

Steps:
1. Make sure your engine is cool. You do not want to perform this job on a hot engine!
2. Locate your radiator drain plug. It is located on the passenger side corner of the radiator with a red plastic plug. Before loosening the plug, you want to move your drain pan underneath to catch the coolant. You can also use some foil to make a makeshift funnel so the coolant doesn't splash all over the frame rail.
6a6dc105ab08b67d573548ce98fb9b71.jpg
3. Next you want to begin loosening the drain plug. You may need to use the pliers to break it loose.
4. Once the plug is loose and there is the coolant is flowing, you can loosen radiator cap at the top of the radiator. It is a silver metal cap on top of the radiation on the driver's side. Once you remove the cap the coolant will drain much quicker.
425d3b7578a0f77e31a733a93020c9c7.jpg
5. While the radiatior is draining, get your pump with a long hose and begin to pump out the coolant from the coolant reservoir tank, located on the driver's side it's a big semi-transparent tank with a yellow cap. Pump out as much as you can.
6. Once the radiator is done draining, you can begin mixing your coolant. If you have an empty 1 or more gallon bottle this will come in handy. If not, it is not necessary. You can begin by measuring half parts coolant and half parts distilled water and adding to your coolant reservoir tank until you have reached the top of the cold fill line.
7. Next, you can cap the reservoir tank and tighten your radiator drain plug. Place your clean funnel on the radiator filler neck (where you removed the radiator cap). Begin filling with distilled water ONLY. You may want to fill slowly as there will be lots of air trapped in your system causing the water to burp back out.
8. Continue filling until completely full to the top of the fill neck. Then, grab the large rubber hose connected to the top of your radiator and squeeze it a few times. This should burp some more air out allowing you to fill with more water. Repeat this process a few more times until you can no longer add water.
9. With the radiator cap still off, now you can start your Raptor and make sure to set your heater on full blast. You need to let the truck run for roughly 10-20 minutes until the radiator fans have kicked on at least 2 times to circulate the fresh distilled water into the system. You can also move your truck to a slight incline so that it is sitting nose high. This will help push air out of the system as well.
10. You should see that the radiator has sucked some water in and you can now add more water. Continue adding until full over the next 10-20 minutes.
11. Once added to the brim, you can screw on your radiator cap and take the truck for a quick drive. 10-20 minute drive would be best. While on your drive, monitor your coolant temperature to ensure there is no overheating and continue to have the heater on full blast.
12. Upon returning from your drive, you want to let the engine cool down for 30 minutes and then repeat draining/refilling your radiator and then taking it for a short drive to mix it all. It's unnecessary to drain/refill the reservoir tank.
13. After repeating the process the 3rd time, I added straight coolant to the radiator the 4th and 5th time. This gave me a close enough 50/50 ratio as verified with a coolant tester. You can verify your work if your drain pan is clear or if you transfer to clear bottles. My first drain was much darker than the 2nd, the 2nd darked than the 3rd, and so on.
14. Make sure you final fill is topped off completely and your coolant reservoir tank is in range. Don't forget your radiator cap!

Last edited:

Sergiorm

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've tried to search for my answer but I get mixed answers. Just bought a used 2010 raptor with100k miles and the 5.4L engine. When I bought the truck I noticed what looked like a rusty/sludge like substances in the coolant reservoir. Dealer said it wasn't rust, just sludge from the dexcool coolant from being old. They replaced the reservoir and flushed the system. However, I read the manual and it says I should use motorcraft gold. Should I flush it again and put the gold or is dexcool equivalent? Please let me know if anyone has the answer and if I can leave the dex cool in there. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've tried to search for my answer but I get mixed answers. Just bought a used 2010 raptor with100k miles and the 5.4L engine. When I bought the truck I noticed what looked like a rusty/sludge like substances in the coolant reservoir. Dealer said it wasn't rust, just sludge from the dexcool coolant from being old. They replaced the reservoir and flushed the system. However, I read the manual and it says I should use motorcraft gold. Should I flush it again and put the gold or is dexcool equivalent? Please let me know if anyone has the answer and if I can leave the dex cool in there. Thanks!!!

There is conflicting information online regarding DexCool and Motorcraft Orange. The only way to know for sure is to get the part # they filled with. Looks like the 5.4L uses the same VC-3-B as the 6.2L.

If they cannot confirm the part number they used, I would demand that they re-do the flush completely with the proper coolant to prevent further damage.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dexcool has a tendency to eat seals and gaskets. This has been an issue in GM vehicles for years. I don't recommend using Dexcool in anything, period. If that is what they used, I would get them to flush it again. The long term health of the cooling system is at stake there.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dexcool has a tendency to eat seals and gaskets. This has been an issue in GM vehicles for years. I don't recommend using Dexcool in anything, period. If that is what they used, I would get them to flush it again. The long term health of the cooling system is at stake there.

This is why you get to replace coolant in GM cars every 5-6 yrs regardless how much you drive them....