Differential or Axle Vent issue 17 SCAB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spencerh84

Reaction score
I found that my diff cover might have a leak but there is no trace of fluid in my garage where it is consistently parked in the same spot. No whine that I can hear at speed either. I have heard about the axle vent getting clogged and that it could also be the issue. 37k mile 2017 scab w/ light off-roading (TRR and Texplex days).

I have ordered a lube locker gasket and will get 4 qts of Amsoil 75W-85.

Also contemplating throwing on the Ford Performance Diff Cover while I'm in there.

Any suggestions/warnings before I get in there?

upload_2019-8-21_14-20-42.png

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have heard about the axle vent getting clogged and that it could also be the issue.

unclog the vent tube(?) first, and clean, see if that fixes it. I was black flagged at a track day once for trailing smoke, turned out to be that (Mustang) diff vent puking fluid onto the exhaust. DOH.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you service the rear diff, remember to clean out the diff's area below the ring & Pinion really good, there is were all the gunk and metal from break in settle down to...

OP
OP
spencerh84

spencerh84

Reaction score
Thank for the advice. I broke down and ordered the Ford Performance cover and a lube locker gasket. I'll post details about vent tube findings and old gasket issues.