Differential fluid change - do I need friction modifier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My interpretation of this is, you do not need to add friction modifier to the rear, as it is not a LSD. If a modifier is already added to the oil, it is not going to hurt anything, as long as the oil is the right type/spec.

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if the 2014 manual calls for 75w-85 for the rear, why is everyone using 75w-140?

OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't. It calls for 75w-140.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...0-Owner-Manual-version-2_OM_EN-US_01_2014.pdf

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Look under cap's and spec's

I saw that, but the Raptor supplement shows something different than the main F-150 manual. If it's better protection for offroading, why did they spec it differently? Typo?

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2014-F-150-SVT-Raptor-Supplement-First-Print_rp_en-us_09_2013.pdf

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Changed my diff fluid and purge valve the other day. Fluid was dark but no water contamination. Was surprised with the water crossings I've done. Is there some kind of check valve in the breather?

Rakimb17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped out to an AFE different cover yesterday and i think fluid is a little low. I put in two bottles of friction modifier thinking that i was still going to get 4 quarts of diff oil in. I only got 2.5 quarts in before the sight glass filled up. So I'm full with only about 3 quarts of fluids. Wtf?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Changed my diff fluid and purge valve the other day. Fluid was dark but no water contamination. Was surprised with the water crossings I've done. Is there some kind of check valve in the breather?

I didn't think there was. It is routed up to the bed cross frame rail. It typically doesn't get water in there, although I have.

What was the summary / conclusion on the friction modifier?

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com