Differential fluid change - do I need friction modifier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no hole so your saposto just leave it and replace it when it breaks.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

I'm a farmer and I've never changed this oil on any of my ford trucks and we pull the crap out of them mud any thing you could think of I've never had one break yet 200,000 miles or more on 2 of them. I'm not worried

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
75W-85 would get better gas mileage than 75W-140? Measured with what fine scientific instrument? Only a finely calibrated ass could measure the difference if there is any at all, which I very sincerely doubt.

(See Crystal? I told you we'd argue about it!) :) :) :)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

I'm a farmer and I've never changed this oil on any of my ford trucks and we pull the crap out of them mud any thing you could think of I've never had one break yet 200,000 miles or more on 2 of them. I'm not worried

Oh man. Wilson, my dear friend, you should never, never have said that.
Now they're all going to break at once!

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MCR, there's a few valid points answered on your question, more fluid will take longer to over heat, but also a little longer to cool, but being an aluminum fined cover should aid in its heating and cooling, being able to check and fill easily, for the guys that would see deep water , being able to drop the fluid on sight, and not worrying about losing diff cover bolts in the dirt, but I would also be the person dropping the cover and pulling the axles when I got home, just to make sure all water was out of the rear and axle tubes, then you also will have the hand full that do it, because every one else is doing it ( oooh aaah) factor, as for the AFE and G-2 covers I cant speak for there strength or how thick the covers are, but in my case I chose a cover that is pretty dame close to bullet proof, doesn't protrude as much as the others, has the easy fill and drain, but also gives me support on my diff bearings, granted you won't launch your truck and hook like a car, but there is always a load factor no matter, so for 200, I feel I got the best of both worlds. Link to my cover bellow, also Nitro gear and pinion make the cover also. And I forgot to add, I also used the ARP STUD KIT.

Ford Girdles, Ford Lightning 9.75" Rear End Girdle, TA_1804 | TAPerformance.com

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
J, that's really interesting. I'm not as proficient as you, so those two load bolts give me pause. What do you have to know to tension them properly - just a torque figure, or is more involved?

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK. I do have a serious question. I know these diff covers have become a popular aftermarket add. They evidently hold more fluid/ are tougher/ may have a drain plug.

I also know that when I changed my diff oil at 40K miles, there was absolutely no sign of overheating. Wishing now I would have sent it off for analysis.

And I would be willing to wager that I have run my Raptor almost as hard as anyone out there. So why would I have any incentive to change to a higher capacity diff cover if the stock rear end in these trucks seems to be getting the job done?

Are people doing this upgrade more for the cosmetic effect?

I mainly got the Mag-hytec for the convenient dipstick/fill hole and drain plug. Also, while it may be insignificant I think it's nice that both dipstick and drain plug are magnetic to catch all the small wear metal particles floating around.

The benefit in looks, durability, and possibly lower temps are only side benefits to me. Plus, this is definitely an easy garage/driveway "why not" type of mod.

Regardless, I was going to switch to Amsoil at some point so might as well upgrade the cover since I had to drop the old one. I also much prefer the o-ring seal to ******** with RTV or other various types of gasket maker.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
THANK YOU CRYSTAL! Really appreciate you running this to ground for us.

We are now going to argue about it, but that's because we're fanatics and not because we don't value your presence here! :)...

You're welcome, Ruger! I'll grab some popcorn and watch the fun unfold. :)

Crystal