Difference in 87 perf and 93 perf tune from 5 Star?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have had the 5star 87 perf tune on for a day and a half. This coupled with AFE cai, and a new muffler, and wow! Pretty impressive difference. Shifting, throttle response, smoother and improved acceleration. What more can I expect from the 93 perf? Other than more chinga spent at the pump? Worth the extra cost in gas? Thanks.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its subtle, but I think its worth it. 91 is the highest we go here and that is what i run. The mileage increase may not be noticable (and certainly won't make-up the increased cost), but I think the truck is happier! I swapped back and forth a couple times to be sure. You just need to try it and decide for yourself.

Scrap man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will tell you it's noticeable I switched when I had just the cai and I saw a gain for sure

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been tracking fuel cost/mileage since day one. After 13,000 miles I can honestly say the cost difference between 87 & 91/93 is negligible at worst. 89(10% ethanol) is the most cost effective, but only on the order of 3-4 cents a gallon.

Ultimately, you bought an off road truck with a big engine and large tires... Feed it what it likes, enjoy the perma-smile you get from hammering the throttle with your foot, and to hell with the fuel costs!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I have had the 5star 87 perf tune on for a day and a half. This coupled with AFE cai, and a new muffler, and wow! Pretty impressive difference. Shifting, throttle response, smoother and improved acceleration. What more can I expect from the 93 perf? Other than more chinga spent at the pump? Worth the extra cost in gas? Thanks.

Expect more fun factor. I had been running the 87 performance tune all summer. Then for the havoc run I switched to the 89 performance tune. Awesome! I can only imagine the 93 is more aggressive.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

TedB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the 93 tune, but during the hot weather my gut feeling is that the idle is a little rough, next summer I will look into it, but everyone who drove my truck loves the response of the tune.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2