GEN3 tune in GEN2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been hearing that the GEN3 has a better torque curve, better throttle response, and much smoother transmission shifting.
Is there a way to put the GEN3 Tune into the gen 2? or do the drive modes complicate things??

even if its just the torque/HP curve and the throttle response?

Not sure if anyone was tried this, or if its even worth it because you can just upgrade with any tuning product thats already available. I just like the 'safety' aspect of a factory tuning

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been hearing that the GEN3 has a better torque curve, better throttle response, and much smoother transmission shifting.
Is there a way to put the GEN3 Tune into the gen 2? or do the drive modes complicate things??

even if its just the torque/HP curve and the throttle response?

Not sure if anyone was tried this, or if its even worth it because you can just upgrade with any tuning product thats already available. I just like the 'safety' aspect of a factory tuning
Easy... Called COBB AP with custom Goosetune. You will then have better torque curve, hp, customizable throttle response, and transmission shifting vs stock Gen 2 or Gen 3.

I have a friend with Gen 3. My Gen 2 with custom stage 2 91 tune with TCM tune is much more refined and smoother power delivery. When I run e85 it's not even in the same stratosphere. It's probably a lot cheaper too.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Easy... Called COBB AP with custom Goosetune. You will then have better torque curve, hp, customizable throttle response, and transmission shifting vs stock Gen 2 or Gen 3.

I have a friend with Gen 3. My Gen 2 with custom stage 2 91 tune with TCM tune is much more refined and smoother power delivery. When I run e85 it's not even in the same stratosphere. It's probably a lot cheaper too.

Thanks man!

OP
OP
FordPerf Addict

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you’re probably right, I just worry about these engines for some reason because they aren’t V8s. Im gonna need this thing to last to about 125k and hopefully Have 0 major issues with it

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you’re probably right, I just worry about these engines for some reason because they aren’t V8s. Im gonna need this thing to last to about 125k and hopefully Have 0 major issues with it
Understood. I have 85k on mine and it has been tuned since around 15k. I had livernois first (no issues just wanted more) and then COBB at 36k. I’ve been running e50 or higher for over 20k miles.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If reliability is priority 1 then don't tune it. IMO, part of that equation in Gen 3 power is how it is translated mechanically to the ground and how that is perceived by feel as well. The linked rear helps with power delivery and efficiency over the leaf spring rear end on the gen2. If reliability is paramount then no tune, if you don't mind taking a risk (small albeit, but a risk nonetheless) then order up a goosetune.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't state this as fact but just a gut feeling after driving hundreds of rigs over the last 40+ years. It seems to me something Ford did to make it feel more powerful. They changed the mapping on the throttle curve. In the ole days with carbs and mechanical linkage, 1/4 throttle meant the barrel was open about 1/4 of the way. With these new rigs and servo controlled throttle, you just breath on the peddle and you get 3/4 power so it feels like you just give it a little and "oh wow". Makes rigs feel really spunky. But the curve after about half peddle is pretty mellow in comparison.

I am sure the gen3's computer maps the VCT different than previous models. In order to change that torque curve a bit, an after market tune could do that if that is what you want. All of the above relating to hp vs torque coming out of a turbo 3.5L engine or an NA V8.

Handling wise? After putting some miles and tests to the gen3, that 5 link coil suspension most certainly makes a considerable difference in how that power created is used. This Raptor handles like no "pickup" truck I have ever driven...and in a very good stable way. I have been drifting my trucks on too many mountain roads for years and I tell you what! This Raptor has no peers other than perhaps a trophy truck.