Dealer Negligence - Damage During Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mstgkillr

Reaction score
Typically, I perform my own routine maintenance, but due to less free time, I thought I would give the dealer a try. What a huge mistake!

After one oil change/tire rotation, I noticed a missing inspection plate bolt. Another oil change/tire rotation, a second inspection plate bolt went missing. Last oil change/tire rotation (a week ago) they scratched a wheel and beauty ring in several places. I didn’t complain, but rather decided to go back to doing routine maintenance myself.

Yesterday, I found a nail in my tire, so I had to go back. Since they would be doing tire work anyways, I figured I would have them add a TMPS to the spare and balance it, so that I could perform 5-tire rotations. I called ahead, and parts had the TMPS for ~$80.

Considering their previous track record, I removed the spare tire and placed it it the bed. I also removed the beauty rings from the spare and wheel with the nail in the tire.

Once I get home, I find they reinstalled the spare, creating more work. Now I have to drop it to reinstall the beauty ring. When lowering the spare, I realize it’s upside down, causing the bracket to severely scratch the wheel. Then, I realize there are absolutely no weights on the spare, so they didn’t even balance it. Total cost >$200 and scratched wheel and I still can’t use the spare.

I have an appointment tomorrow to replace the “Raptor” emblem on the hood. I plan to talk to the service manager. I think they should replace the spare and other wheel they scratched with brand new ones, along with the inspection plate bolts. My guess is they will want to use touch up paint or something.

What would you do?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Typically, I perform my own routine maintenance, but due to less free time, I thought I would give the dealer a try. What a huge mistake!

After one oil change/tire rotation, I noticed a missing inspection plate bolt. Another oil change/tire rotation, a second inspection plate bolt went missing. Last oil change/tire rotation (a week ago) they scratched a wheel and beauty ring in several places. I didn’t complain, but rather decided to go back to doing routine maintenance myself.

Yesterday, I found a nail in my tire, so I had to go back. Since they would be doing tire work anyways, I figured I would have them add a TMPS to the spare and balance it, so that I could perform 5-tire rotations. I called ahead, and parts had the TMPS for ~$80.

Considering their previous track record, I removed the spare tire and placed it it the bed. I also removed the beauty rings from the spare and wheel with the nail in the tire.

Once I get home, I find they reinstalled the spare, creating more work. Now I have to drop it to reinstall the beauty ring. When lowering the spare, I realize it’s upside down, causing the bracket to severely scratch the wheel. Then, I realize there are absolutely no weights on the spare, so they didn’t even balance it. Total cost >$200 and scratched wheel and I still can’t use the spare.

I have an appointment tomorrow to replace the “Raptor” emblem on the hood. I plan to talk to the service manager. I think they should replace the spare and other wheel that scratch with brand new ones, along with the inspection plate bolts. My guess is they will want to use touch paint or something.

What would you do?
That’s terrible.

I’d give them 2 options. Schedule their wheel repair guy come in and see if the damage is fixable. If it’s not, or it can’t be fixed to your satisfaction, they need to purchase you a new wheel. They need to be held accountable for damage resulting from the service/repair they provided.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just goes to show these guys don’t give a fa ck.Most ppl that go to the stealership don’t even check the work afterwards.

Get the job done as fast as possible with zero care about anything.

At the dealer up the street from me, some a$$wipe was jockeying a brand new F150 Platinum from one lot to another. Why remove the 6” of snow on the windshield? It’s just a busy street in rush hour. Just put your flashers on. :banghead:

I won’t even get free air from my tires from those clowns. Not the first time with them.

tonyp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had wheels refinished by a wheel shop and they told me they’d come out great. They didn’t. Color matching, gouge filling… not easy on mine and I would push for new ones. That’s reckless of them and it’s their fault.

raptortrav001

Reaction score
As a Service Manager at a High Line store, I can tell you that you need to go straight to the General Manager. Call ahead, make an appointment with him, and present your case face to face. Don't yell, don't call names, just present the obvious and ask to have it made right and you'll likely get pretty far. If the technicians are that sloppy, the Service Manager is not doing his job and his boss needs to know about it.