Dealer doc fees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sethrad

Reaction score
No one has to pay doc fees. That’s a fully negotiable BS fee. It’s not standard anywhere. Every dealer charges a different doc fee. Some states have legal limits on doc fees. Some dealers charge more, some charge less, some charge nothing at all. Negotiate it away. The minute a dealer tells you that it’s mandatory or standard practice, call him out as a liar and a fool.

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one has to pay doc fees. That’s a fully negotiable BS fee. It’s not standard anywhere. Every dealer charges a different doc fee. Some states have legal limits on doc fees. Some dealers charge more, some charge less, some charge nothing at all. Negotiate it away. The minute a dealer tells you that it’s mandatory or standard practice, call him out as a liar and a fool.
Agreed but not easy to do in a seller's market.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on most vehicles, but with the Raptor having a line out the door for them, some dealers will tell you to kick rocks or pay all the fees. Even an ordered vehicle is not yours until all the ink is dry.

Stan G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, no one has to pay the "doc fees" but, dealers do get to charge "conveyance fees" that are legally allowed in a lot of states. These are specifically set up on a state-by-state basis and other than allowing a "reasonable amount" has no guidelines.

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The insanity of 699-999 is recent around Atlanta, no state law regulating it. I have negotiated some but they always act like its not open for that. Next time I trade anything into a dealer I will agree on the value of my vehicle but then hit them for a "transportation fee" to bring it to them (since driving in ATL is high risk anywhere), which will be the same dealer fee they charged me. Just be prepared to walk away. It is your money after all and just like ADM, you get absolutely nothing for it, no value added. The dealers call it pack as they pack in additional profit after you think you have a deal done. Most are too tired to fight about it, so they just keep raising it. They should forget the ADM and just call it dealer prep = $10,000...it doesn't matter since there are no trucks to buy anyway...argh.
It seems like ordering a truck is just a suggestion for them to build one, maybe they will, maybe they wont. In my case the truck **** (remember Seinfeld) said "No truck for you" and my order went into the "unscheduled clean" oblivion never to be heard from again. How much does Hennessy charge for a velociraptor?

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The insanity of 699-999 is recent around Atlanta, no state law regulating it. I have negotiated some but they always act like its not open for that. Next time I trade anything into a dealer I will agree on the value of my vehicle but then hit them for a "transportation fee" to bring it to them (since driving in ATL is high risk anywhere), which will be the same dealer fee they charged me. Just be prepared to walk away. It is your money after all and just like ADM, you get absolutely nothing for it, no value added. The dealers call it pack as they pack in additional profit after you think you have a deal done. Most are too tired to fight about it, so they just keep raising it. They should forget the ADM and just call it dealer prep = $10,000...it doesn't matter since there are no trucks to buy anyway...argh.
It seems like ordering a truck is just a suggestion for them to build one, maybe they will, maybe they wont. In my case the truck **** (remember Seinfeld) said "No truck for you" and my order went into the "unscheduled clean" oblivion never to be heard from again. How much does Hennessy charge for a velociraptor?
Great points.
One note, the Doc Fee is a better investment than anything with Hennessey tied to it. Lol. Total crook.