CV leaking? Hmm, any idea? Pics inside 12k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It would be more work to remove the collars then to install a new axle. I just did one on my truck in 40 minutes including jacking it up. Take the wheel off then it is literally 3 nuts and 2 small bolts. Undo the upper ball joint and tie rod as well as the small retainer bolts holding the abs and brake line, pop off the cover and remove the axle nut, then the axle just pulls out. Pop a new one in and put it back together. $240 for the axle and nut.

OP
OP
M

MyLord

Reaction score
It would be more work to remove the collars than to install a new axle. I just did one on my truck in 40 minutes including jacking it up. Take the wheel off then it is literally 3 nuts and 2 small bolts. Undo the upper ball joint and tie rod as well as the small retainer bolts holding the abs and brake line, pop off the cover and remove the axle nut, then the axle just pulls out. Pop a new one in and put it back together. $240 for the axle and nut.
Hopefully I can trade it in this weekend.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will remove the collars before taking it in. I have a feeling they’ll blame the after market wheels and 37’s though.
That’s called warranty fraud. You lifted your truck which caused damage to the boot. You mod it, you own it. Follow @xrocket21 advice and buy an axle.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What’s fraud is the ****** product I paid for.
Umm what? You got exactly what you paid for, warranties don’t cover damage due to modifications. You lifted your truck and it caused the CV axle boot to fail, you own that. Not sure what you’re missing here.

OP
OP
M

MyLord

Reaction score
Umm what? You got exactly what you paid for, warranties don’t cover damage due to modifications. You lifted your truck and it caused the CV axle boot to fail, you own that. Not sure what you’re missing here.
I get what you’re saying. The product is definitely below quality standards.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could have a shop install new heavy duty cv boots from SDHQ. Had them on for a year now with moderate off-road use. Have held up great

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying. The product is definitely below quality standards.
No, clearly you don’t. It has nothing to do with quality. The axles are designed to work in factory configuration, not with the modified operating angles due to your lift.

It’s unbelievable that people can’t take accountability for their own actions.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You modified the truck's front suspension, changing the angle that the CV joints operate at. The leaking CV is on you, even if it was a defective part.

It's a matter of ethics. Are you ethical or not?