Cutting the Grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the curved BD light and put it right in front of the grille on a custom bumper. Mine sits very close and the curve follows the contour of the truck perfectly.

RodGod87

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Thank you. I was trying to keep the overall "silhouette" stock. It's probably a stupid personal preference. I just don't like things to look "bolted on." I'll probably just put some driving lights in the fog pocket and call it good. Just like idea of the light behind the grill.[/QUOTE]

73f4ce4a-cffa-4e77-9fbd-9a7d7a1eb5c2-jpeg.129096

5bc4ab2e-00a3-40b2-8fad-9e05b1cf3814-jpeg.128588

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I cut open the IC grill for the BD 10" Onyx light bar and a rough estimate would be about 20% increase in light output...enough to justify the mod. This light bar is a easy to do install, but the lightbar would work much better if was mounted higher...again another reason to cut open the IC grill...
If running the BD S8 lightbar behind the radiator I would consider cutting the grill if it could be done cleanly to give it that factory look and it maintained structural integrity as not to start cracking and breaking...

IC Grill cut out1.jpg

IC Grill cut out3.jpg

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my BD S8 light bar behind the grille. Plenty of light gets through. Also have A pillar lights, but honestly, if you like the look and setup of a behind the grille light, I would say don’t worry about the small reduction in light output. I have a Gen 2 and the reduction seems pretty minor. If you have a Gen 1, maybe that’s different and cutting or another mounting method makes sense.

UploadFile1570202246.964315.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All, I can't thank you enough for your responses and pictures. Thank you! I read this forum every day and this is why. Your trucks rock hard. TXRaptor, just read your whole build thread. Very cool. CigarPundit, I still have the Gen 1 (2014) because I'm old school and like the sound of a V8 even though I know the EB is a better performing motor. It's not logical. I keep praying for another V8 Raptor before the world turns all electric or hydrogen or whatever. Big thanks to Big Blue, RodGod87, and Loufish (hope I didn't miss anyone as I cant see page 1 as I'm typing this response) for the pics of grills that have been cut. I think I'm going to try a 40" bent light like TX Raptor's but mounted behind the the lower portion of the upper (radiator) grill. I'm not sure if I can push it through the grill at that location, but if I try cutting the grill in any way I'll post pics so others can learn from my mistakes. :) Thanks again everyone.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I love my BD S8 light bar behind the grille. Plenty of light gets through. Also have A pillar lights, but honestly, if you like the look and setup of a behind the grille light, I would say don’t worry about the small reduction in light output. I have a Gen 2 and the reduction seems pretty minor. If you have a Gen 1, maybe that’s different and cutting or another mounting method makes sense.

View attachment 130230

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having owned both a Gen 1 and Gen 2 with lighting behind the grille. I can tell you that there is significantly less light loss behind the grille of the Gen 2 vs the Gen 1.

All, I can't thank you enough for your responses and pictures. Thank you! I read this forum every day and this is why. Your trucks rock hard. TXRaptor, just read your whole build thread. Very cool. CigarPundit, I still have the Gen 1 (2014) because I'm old school and like the sound of a V8 even though I know the EB is a better performing motor. It's not logical. I keep praying for another V8 Raptor before the world turns all electric or hydrogen or whatever. Big thanks to Big Blue, RodGod87, and Loufish (hope I didn't miss anyone as I cant see page 1 as I'm typing this response) for the pics of grills that have been cut. I think I'm going to try a 40" bent light like TX Raptor's but mounted behind the the lower portion of the upper (radiator) grill. I'm not sure if I can push it through the grill at that location, but if I try cutting the grill in any way I'll post pics so others can learn from my mistakes. :) Thanks again everyone.

We have a curved light bar that will follow the curve of the grille nicely and will be relatively easy to install behind the grille. Now, it won’t be flush for the look that you’re after, that will require some custom mounting and you’ll want to triangulate the mount for added strength if pushing the bar forward.