Cutting the Grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After having read the lighting tests that seem to show about a 50% reduction in output when a lightbar is placed behind a grill, I couldn't help but wonder why people don't dremel out a row or two of the Raptor grill. May be a stupid question as I am not all that mechanically adept, but the grill seems to be made of a hard plastic that doesn't seem too difficult to cut. If an opening was cut, would the remaining sections of grill collapse? Or droop? Or become structurally unsound?

Or is cutting out a section of the grill considered a Raptor community cultural faux pas?

Given how many Raptor owners there are, I know I can't be the first to have thought of opening up the grill for light output. I just can't find a thread that speaks to why it isn't done. Please tell me why this is a dumb idea.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are really that concerned with function over form, there are better places to put lights to begin with IMO (roof, top of windshield, aftermarket bumper etc).

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the grill is easy to cut and a Dremel works great for a clean cut. However, it will probably only look good if you recess the light into the opening so it sits flush with the grill.

Example;

IMG_0478.JPG

OP
OP
T

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably because it wouldn't look great with random holes in the grille. If I were to do lights in the grille I'd have to go with the Kibbetech mount. @Nick@Apollo-Optics could set you up with the KC's and save you a few bucks. It would be hard to beat the output of this setup.

https://www.kibbetech.com/products/kibbetech-x-kc-hilites-raptor-pro-6-grill-mount

Thank you. Hadn't seen the kibbetech. A bit much for me but appreciate the thought. In my head I can picture taking out one horizontal row in the bottom section of the grill and having it look good. But I am not very creative so it would probably be a "random hole." I was just checking to see if it was structural and not cosmetic.

If you are really that concerned with function over form, there are better places to put lights to begin with IMO (roof, top of windshield, aftermarket bumper etc).

Yes, I agree. Thank you. I was trying to keep the overall "silhouette" stock. It's probably a stupid personal preference. I just don't like things to look "bolted on." I'll probably just put some driving lights in the fog pocket and call it good. Just like idea of the light behind the grill.

OP
OP
T

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the grill is easy to cut and a Dremel works great for a clean cut. However, it will probably only look good if you recess the light into the opening so it sits flush with the grill.

Example;

Hey, that's perfect! Thank you Big Blue!

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Thank you. I was trying to keep the overall "silhouette" stock. It's probably a stupid personal preference. I just don't like things to look "bolted on." I'll probably just put some driving lights in the fog pocket and call it good. Just like idea of the light behind the grill.

"Bolted on" might be better than "hacked off" though. Give it a shot and post it up though, might not be too bad.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting g till I get a aftermarket fro t bumper to add lights. Looks cleaner I think. Once you do cut the grill it will take away from the structural integrity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts