COVID parts nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhaynes772

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanting to vent some frustration out. I have a 2017 SCrew. Around October/November, the trucks transmission (so I thought) was becoming very rough with shifts and seem to buck and "slam" gears when shifting. At the time, it was very intermittent. I reset the trans, same problem. Over Christmas I traveled to MS and on the way back home (Nashville) it became violent. Beginning of January I took it in because it also had some other issues/maintenance (rattling moonroof, oil chance, door not latching, loud ticking noise from engine bay). After 2 weeks of being in the dealer, they get nearly everything fixed and the last thing to fix is the trans. Come to find out it has something to do with the transfer case.

My truck has been sitting since the beginning of JANUARY and still not parts in sight. It was marked backordered supposed to come in end of Feb. Then it got moved to first of March. Now it's first of April but still no guarantee. I have talked with Ford Corporate Customer Service. They're trying to do a parts escalation.

I've been in 2 rentals cars now provided thru the dealer. First was an explorer for a month. But being a contractor, I need a truck. The finally put me in a 2021 F150. While nice and I do appreciate it, I just want my ******* truck back at this point. What would yall do in my situation? Feeling helpless at this point. Last I went to the dealer, it's still on the same lift, in pieces, same as in February.

OP
OP
M

mhaynes772

Reaction score
Do you know if they ever did the trans computer firmware update? That should have been the first thing they attempted to fix the issue before tearing the truck all apart guessing what the problem was. There is a TSB for the new Firmware flash that supposed to fix the rough/harsh shifting.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149749-9999.pdf

Yeah they did. It def was the transfer case. There was a grinding "feel" in the accelerator pedal anytime you gave it gas. And it only happened in 4WD. There was def some trans issues but that seemed to be fixed with the update.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck has been sitting since the beginning of JANUARY and still not parts in sight. It was marked backordered supposed to come in end of Feb. Then it got moved to first of March. Now it's first of April but still no guarantee. I have talked with Ford Corporate Customer Service. They're trying to do a parts escalation.

This happened to me last summer. It was two weeks, two weeks, two weeks, for two months. Everything the service advisor told me was a lie. I think two weeks was the standard lie because it's short enough to sit for and long enough to make the customer go away for a while. Talk to the service manager. Be nice. Unless you get him bought in, his minions will string you along forever if it saves them 20 minutes of actual work. They can escalate things with Ford if they want to. My SA claimed to have escalated with Ford when he had not. Ford Customer Service was unable to escalate things from their end, their(effed up) system doesn't work that way. About all CS is good for is verifying whether the service department has escalated.

OP
OP
M

mhaynes772

Reaction score
This happened to me last summer. It was two weeks, two weeks, two weeks, for two months. Everything the service advisor told me was a lie. I think two weeks was the standard lie because it's short enough to sit for and long enough to make the customer go away for a while. Talk to the service manager. Be nice. Unless you get him bought in, his minions will string you along forever if it saves them 20 minutes of actual work. They can escalate things with Ford if they want to. My SA claimed to have escalated with Ford when he had not. Ford Customer Service was unable to escalate things from their end, their(effed up) system doesn't work that way. About all CS is good for is verifying whether the service department has escalated.

I will say the dealer has been good in keeping me updated as soon as they get updates. They actually told me to contact Ford Customer Service and tell them my truck has been VOR (Vehicle Off Road) for the month and a half it had been sitting at the time. Ford corporate said they did a parts escalation and has followed up with me each week with updates (basically no update really). I told them how disappointed I am as we are a construction Ford family. I can't even begin to count how many Ford trucks my dad brother and I have had over the years. They're going to see what they can do to "compensate" me for this inconvenience. I'll take a Raptor R at sticker please.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will say the dealer has been good in keeping me updated as soon as they get updates. They actually told me to contact Ford Customer Service and tell them my truck has been VOR (Vehicle Off Road) for the month and a half it had been sitting at the time. Ford corporate said they did a parts escalation and has followed up with me each week with updates (basically no update really). I told them how disappointed I am as we are a construction Ford family. I can't even begin to count how many Ford trucks my dad brother and I have had over the years. They're going to see what they can do to "compensate" me for this inconvenience. I'll take a Raptor R at sticker please.

That's good. It's heartening to hear that there are decent service departments out there. This being my first new Ford, mine was not a good first impression.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sucks. Glad your dealer is taking care of you. Kind of crappy they can’t get the part you need.

COVID screwed up some manufacturers worse than others. I’ve been waiting on a .45 I ordered from Kimber back in August 2020. Still not here.

I’m guessing some of Ford’s third party suppliers must be way back ordered for you to have wait this long.

Hope you’re back on the road soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pay some low life tweakers to remove a transfer case from one of the trucks on a lot while they are stealing catalytic converters....

Or have Ford canabalize another truck to get your parts.

Oh man sorry. That is a ****** situation.
No bueno