GEN 2 Correct replacement phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another video from FTML. Pertains to the 3.5 EB and the new 21+ phasers.

Ok I just screen shot the part # in the vid and sent to my service manager. He said that he had the same part # on his end slated to be installed. Is there any way to confirm that is what they will be installing? How can I tell if he is lying?

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, this is yet another part design change? FTM is an excellent source on this stuff and is not a Ford fanboy... he calls it pretty straight as you see in this video.
I do feel sorry for the ecoboosters.... this cam phaser design debacle completely ruins this truck.
This here is a prime example of why Ford made more cuts this week to their top executive staff. They have out of control engineering and design issues that are completely crippling them. Makes no difference how much money they make when it is completely (and then some) consumed in warranty claims / design changes. I am not sure why anyone still keeps an ecoboost... just trade it in and get something more dependable.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, this is yet another part design change? FTM is an excellent source on this stuff and is not a Ford fanboy... he calls it pretty straight as you see in this video.
I do feel sorry for the ecoboosters.... this cam phaser design debacle completely ruins this truck.
This here is a prime example of why Ford made more cuts this week to their top executive staff. They have out of control engineering and design issues that are completely crippling them. Makes no difference how much money they make when it is completely (and then some) consumed in warranty claims / design changes. I am not sure why anyone still keeps an ecoboost... just trade it in and get something more dependable.
Seriously? What truck do you own?

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, I escaped the ecoboost curse. Currently a 6.2 boat anchor work truck Raptor with no issues in all its time, a 6.6 Duramax, a 6.2 Tahoe RST, and a 5.8 Shelby GT500. Love each one of them, and zero mechanical issues of any kind with them.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure why you’re still here. All you do is troll these forums like a disease.
200.gif

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FTM has decent content but this video is simply incorrect.

The replacement parts for 2017-2020 are prefix HL3Z and suffix CD. The 2021+ (ML3Z prefix) went to a new plant/supplier hence why they look different. There is NOT a part supersession from one to the other. The ML3Z is listed in the TSB and parts catalog as an alternative if the HL3Z isn’t available. Either one will function the same way, they are both the updated internal design.